Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yet another This is the worst version of Ubuntu thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Yet another This is the worst version of Ubuntu thread

Bravo!

Instead of trying to make things better, people would just rather complain. The latter is easier.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by fela View Post
    Nah, karmic sucks. Jaunty's great though. I think they bit off more than they can chew with all the bootup stuff in karmic. It doesn't even boot up from a clean install on my bog standard desktop...I mean WTF. Also, the boot time is worse in karmic when it was supposed to be better (judging from a virtualbox install anyway).
    I can only comment on our own experiences but all of the machines/installations that we have upgraded so far have improved boot times, especially on my own bog standard Desktop(2.1Ghz Dual core with 2G RAM and 7 series Nvidia card).
    It`s had a good few seconds shaved off the bootup time, again.I`m sure it now boots in about half the time it did when i first bought/built it and installed Ubuntu on it 2 years ago.

We just need faster Broadband...
    Screenshot-2.jpg

It soon picked back up but still took about an hour and 20 minutes all in on my desktop, which seemed quite long compared to previous upgrades i`ve done.
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans

I just wish I could get paid to listen to people complain about ubuntu like I do to listen to them complain about windows.

Ubuntu complaints intrigue me more.
    Sometimes the best way to learn is to help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fela View Post
    Nah, karmic sucks. Jaunty's great though. I think they bit off more than they can chew with all the bootup stuff in karmic. It doesn't even boot up from a clean install on my bog standard desktop...I mean WTF. Also, the boot time is worse in karmic when it was supposed to be better (judging from a virtualbox install anyway).
    I've noticed it takes longer to boot Karmic than Jaunty with a full-install.

Shutdown, on the other hand, is practically immediate. I haven't tried suspend/hibernate though it may "feel" faster since once it is done saving the state the machine shuts down practically immediately.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Normally I do wait a few weeks to a few months before I attempt a new install. This time, however, I decided to go for it, since every time in the past my installs were pretty much flawless.

This is the one time I should have waited a week or two before I attempted an install. (lol) Most problems I've fixed so far, except for one nagging one on the laptop. It's not a showstopper, it's cosmetic, but highly annoying.
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sparvik View Post
    Ubuntu complaints intrigue me more.
    That's because they actually have a solution. When you're dissatisfied with Windows you have to wait for Microsoft to fix it. With Ubuntu, provided you have a few coding skills and some time on your hands, as well as a fast compiling computer/drugs to speed up time, you can just as well fix it yourself.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is time for half-yearly thing for some people to post threads like -"**** is the worst release ever". Can't get enough of that in testimonials over and over again.....

I completely agree with OP. Either help make the release better by reporting bugs or use what was working for you before.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ukripper View Post
    It is time for half-yearly thing for some people to post threads like -"**** is the worst release ever". Can't get enough of that in testimonials over and over again.....

I completely agree with OP. Either help make the release better by reporting bugs or use what was working for you before.
    +1, I picked the second option. Kubuntu 9.04.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans

I've had no problems with it after 3 days

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123