Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another This is the worst version of Ubuntu thread

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Yet another This is the worst version of Ubuntu thread

Quote Originally Posted by JillSwift View Post
    You know what I found out?

I found out that everything sucks. There is no such thing as gravity (Sorry Newton and Einstein!) it's just that the more mass something has, the more it sucks.

This has been your Public Education Spot for the day.

By that logic, Ubuntu should be near perfect since information has no real mass.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JillSwift View Post
    You know what I found out?

I found out that everything sucks. There is no such thing as gravity (Sorry Newton and Einstein!) it's just that the more mass something has, the more it sucks.
    Actually, this is pretty close to what Einstein said in General Relativity. The more mass something has, the more it sucks space in towards itself so that an object "sitting still" moves towards it. A gross oversimplification, but it gives the general idea.

But but as long as Karmic "sucks" users away from *******, we can be happy.

This has been your Public Education Spot for the day.

Ditto.

Beans

Am feeling like a prophet already.
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK, I'm getting disillusioned by Karmic some. Problem is I don't know if it is the system or the hardware at this point.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

By the logic of this thread, perhaps I should go back to using 8.04 LTS. All the bugs should be worked out by now. But I'm afraid if I did that, my wireless wouldn't work, and I wouldn't be able to add this comment...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
    Once the dust settles and people get down to use their system, and start finding out regressions here and there (Which is pretty normal for a spanking now release) we would be seeing all the "oh karmic sucks, jaunty was the best ever yada yada yada". Please if all you want is a rock solid system. chill out abit and wait for like a month when all the bugs has been reported and ironed out. If you decide to stay and use karmic. please remember we all play a part in making Ubuntu and karmic great hence If something doesn't work right for you like there did on jaunty. Try and file a bug or ask the support channel for any work around. Because its the productive and reasonable thing to do. You achieve more than ranting about an OS you paid $0 for. just MHO
    With some changes it can be posted on Microsoft forums. Just change Ubuntu with Windows in subject line.
    Reality is an illusion that occurs due to lack of alcohol.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amitabhishek View Post
    With some changes it can be posted on Microsoft forums. Just change Ubuntu with Windows in subject line.
    I think not, for one Windows does not have an open user feedback system like Ubuntu or in fact any other Linux distribution (looking at launchpad and bugzilla) User involvement in windows is next to zero Unlike Most Linux distribution which is mostly times driven by the community. My point is many of the bugs currently experienced in karmic would have been fixed if we had more beta tester who are ready and willing to give feed backs on bugs, and regressions. Hence we wont have to wait till a month after release for most of the hidden bugs to be weeded out and fixed. Unlike when you pay for your windows you also pay for support and developments bug fixing takes a top down approach The FOSS model is different and it is sustained by the community. We all have a role to play. You don't have to be a programmer to help make ubuntu better. If you notice a problem or regression then file a bug. If not Then stick with the last version which works for you. No one forces you to use Karmic (Unlike windows where its hard to buy a PC with XP installed. You can't even get a valid copy of XP from any retail shop ) If its ain't broken then don't fix it.

Stay with what works for you.

If you want to use the latest and the greatest then be ready for new bugs and regression and be willing to give feed backs on them

If the previous stable version of ubuntu (Hardy Intrepid Jaunty) Doesn't work for you? Then switch distro (Mandriva, Opensuse, Mother Debian, Fedora. etc)

If Linux doesn't work for you? Then by all means use what does. (windows, Mac, whatever.)
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans

Just a question about bug fixes (I've got a problem and I've read a few posts with others users describing the same problem ) - are they rolled out with the rest of the software updates through the default updater?

I think you're spot on, though... more pitch-in, less bitchin'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jfloydb View Post
    By the logic of this thread, perhaps I should go back to using 8.04 LTS. All the bugs should be worked out by now. But I'm afraid if I did that, my wireless wouldn't work, and I wouldn't be able to add this comment...
    I have thought of that at times, but Jaunty worked with my Microsoft webcam better than 8.04 (which couldn't find it) but still could not do video capture in Cheese. Karmic is able to do video captures somewhat, though not perfect.

So this is one instance that if I want the webcam to work better I need to upgrade (or install Windows).

It's fun to test it out on a laptop not for "production" (everyday use) but otherwise I'll probably wait a while before putting it onto the family's main computer(s) if at all. I may also just wait for the next LTS and go LTS to LTS so I don't have to worry about this every 6 months. The thing that makes this possible is having a system I can update to my heart's desire when new version comes out.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nah, karmic sucks. Jaunty's great though. I think they bit off more than they can chew with all the bootup stuff in karmic. It doesn't even boot up from a clean install on my bog standard desktop...I mean WTF. Also, the boot time is worse in karmic when it was supposed to be better (judging from a virtualbox install anyway).
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast