Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My microphone does not work

Beans

Re: My microphone does not work

ok, I installed karmic backports package for alsa modules and now my mic is working - it sounds a real noisy though... but anyways, it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hogu View Post
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

look at the link for Alsa configuration .txt they have notes about the specific option, for my card, snd-hda, there were some options recommended if you get pops, but i don't know what your model is.
    I already stated this in post #3...

Quote Originally Posted by hogu View Post
    ok, I installed karmic backports package for alsa modules and now my mic is working - it sounds a real noisy though... but anyways, it works.
    What is this "backports" modules package that you all are talking about?!?! I enabled the backports repository but I can't find the package stated in the sound troubleshooting guide:
    Code:
    linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r`
    What is the exact name of the module you installed ?!?!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Relysis View Post
    This may not help you, but I had the same problem. I did a clean install of Ubuntu 9.10, and installed skype 2.1. I got sound output, but no mic. I got it to work by going into sound preferences, the hardware tab, then selecting 'Analog Stereo Duplex' from the profile menu. Then under the input tab I selected the 'Internal Audio Analog Stereo' device, and the 'Microphone 1' connector.

This completely fixed my problem. I was also worried about the pulseaudio-only options in skype beta, but it works great now. I hope this helps.
    I am on the same setting, but it doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by strAlan View Post
    I already stated this in post #3...

What is the exact name of the module you installed ?!?!
    The package name is linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic

So do a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic
    or do it via Synaptic.

I recommend to uncheck the Backports Repository. This will do more harm than good in the long run.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Teamgeist View Post
    The package name is linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic

So do a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic
    or do it via Synaptic.

I recommend to uncheck the Backports Repository. This will do more harm than good in the long run.
    I did install this package WITHOUT enabling the backports repository and now my microphone works. Thank you for the suggestion! Russian - what's the status of your issue?

Beans
    Hidden!

I have installed the same package from universe, but it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Странник; November 1st, 2009 at 10:32 AM.

Beans

Well are you documenting your steps? Did you try different profiles?

Beans

Actually, it WAS working for like 2 seconds (just enough for me to breath into it to test) and now for some reason it doesn't...

Beans

Hi

I upgraded to Karmic from Jaunty, and then I upgraded Skype to version 2.1. I'm using a laptop and I had most of the same problems people are having here. When I finally managed to have the microphone working, it had a very poor sound quality and there was a lot of noise in the mic of the headset.

What I did was adjusting the levels of the Mic in the Pulse Audio Device Chooser, and lower the input levels. They seemed to be too high.

Now it works perfectly.

I hope it helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well, I'm another one with mic issue.
    I'm using HP tx100 and all was fine in 9.04. After upgrade to 9.10 mic stopped working. I did a fresh install then and nothing again. I also installed karmic on one Toshiba A200CR and one Lenovo G530. They both have microphone under "sound- input device". Lenovo has built-in one and Toshiba has one on the headset and one on the webcam (I can see both of them and both working). Both of those computers have Intel chipset.
    My tx100 has nVidia.

So what I did is this. First I enabled "multimedia systems selector" in the main menu. From there I can select ALSA as my default input.
    After that I still cannot see microphone option in "sound preferences- input" but if I press test in Mutimedia System Selector I can se that my mic levels are changing and I can record my voice finally.

My "sound preferences" are set to analog stereo duplex although this is not the best solution for me 'cause I used my optical output in Jaunty and now I have to switch between Analog stereo and Digital all the time. If digital is set then my laptop speakers don't work, if analog is set then digital output don't work. I can't find the way to fix this. Generally, PULSE sux, who needs sound server anyway for daily use? I think it's related somehow to GNOME because there are similar issues with other distros I tried and all of them were GNOME.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast