Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Karmic - Resizing windows over multiple monitors

Beans

Re: Karmic - Resizing windows over multiple monitors

Just to say that I'm having the same issue - Karmic, upgraded from Jaunty - Nvidia 190 drivers.

Beans

Curse you all. Now I am having that problem, and I have no idea what I changed. Karmic koala indeed...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Also having this problem...it is very annoying.

Beans

ha, I have this problem tried to find a solution by looking on this thread then actually stumbled on a "solution" (I use that loosly..)

The resizing snapping only seems to happen when you try and resize with the frame on your screen and you try to resize across the 2 monitors, or having a frame straddle the two monitors and you try to resize the small side (then it snaps back onto the other monitor)

So the way I found to resize windows was to put the window in the middle of the screen and nudge it so it is just off center, then you are free to expand it all you want on the larger side.

I.e. put a window in the middle so it is 45% on your left monitor and 55% on your right hand monitor. You can then resize the right hand side all you want. If you hit the right hand extreme and want it bigger, let go, move back to just off center and repeat.

Not that great, but at least now I can stretch my eclipse 2/3 away my dual monitor setup

Jon.

edit: Yeah you can get it 90-95% across both screens quickly, but the amount of space you can increase by per repeat drop by ~0.5 each time (maths is fun.. :/) so there comes a point where to get it all the way across may take forever....
    Last edited by jon.mithe; November 25th, 2009 at 05:00 PM.

Beans

There is "half" solution working for me. I have 2 1680x1050 screens.
    If you navigate to Compizconfig, there is a general button with a tab display settings in it.
    For me it listed 1680x1050+0+0 and 1680x1050+1680+0
    I changed it to 3360x1050+0+0 and disabled "Detect outputs".

Now Compiz sees my screens as one big desktop and you can stretch a window on two screens, even going fullscreen in a window makes it go fullscreen over both screens.
    There is however a downside, maximizing a windows maximizes it over both screens instead of just the one it is in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb Re: Karmic - Resizing windows over multiple monitors

Quote Originally Posted by wetmonkey View Post
    Here is the bug I am watching/posting in launchpad
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/455378
    Thanks for sharing the bug id! I've subscribed to this bug...

For those who haven't read the bug, there is a workaround given there. Hold down the Alt key and middle mouse button on top of a window to resize it past the screen border.

Quite silly indeed...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mirzmaster View Post
    Thanks for sharing the bug id! I've subscribed to this bug...

For those who haven't read the bug, there is a workaround given there. Hold down the Alt key and middle mouse button on top of a window to resize it past the screen border.

Quite silly indeed...
    Wow thank you very much!

Missed that comment. This way one is even able to stretch a window over multiple desktops! Great functionality that I didn't know about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you. I have also noticed this problem, and it's nice to know there's a work around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's been 6 months now and this still hasn't even been assigned to anybody. If you guys haven't marked that this affects you on the bug, then please do so: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/455378

Haven't been able to test this on Lucid yet as my duel screen setup is still using Karmic, but if anybody finds it doesn't work there then please also mark that under the affected distros.

Beans

The problem persists in lucid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast