Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was wrong with your 9.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What was wrong with your 9.04?

Or your 8.10? Or your 8.04?
    I'm sick of this 6 monthly "ooooh i cant download my new ubuntu yet even though it's released today, i simply must have it!", followed by a week of "my new ubuntu has broken my <random> app", or "my new ubuntu cant do <random> like my previous ubuntu could".
    I wonder if a 12-month release cycle might be a good idea? Sorry for the rant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What was wrong with your 9.04?

Moved to The Community Cafe

Beans

After the last update the hard drive would keep working continuously and the system performance was terrible
    I formatted the / partition and installed the 64 bits Karmic with ext4 and WOW! wharadifference!

Beans

Yeah, they upgrading every six months can be painful. But if you want to use Ubuntu and have all the coolest new features, it's something you must endure.

On the other hand, if you are fine with your stable set up, you might just stick with the next LTS.

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you call that a rant, I'd consider taking rant-teaching lessons if I were you.

9.04 is fine for me, not going to upgrade for about a month.

Beans

Nothing was and is wrong with 9.04.

I'm happy with it, no major issues or bugs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yeah, I'm gonna wait for the next LTS before upgrading. On my desktop at home the upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 broke GNOME. I bought my current System76 laptop with 9.04, and will probably upgrade it when 10.04 comes out.

Beans

in 9.04, using my Fujitsu lappy, with Nvidia 8400, I could not lower the LCD brightness or control CPU frequency. Somehow in 9.10 it all works like a charm. Also, 9.10 has Nvidia driver 185. in the repos unlike 180. in Jaunty. It works better when it's in the repos than to manually install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nothing was wrong with my 9.04. Nothing is wrong with my 9.04. I will probably keep my 9.04 for a while longer.

But there was something wrong with my 8.10. Which is why I installed 9.04 over it. The 6 months between 8.10 and 9.04 made a lot of difference.

There's also plenty wrong with my 8.04, on my other computer. Well, maybe not "wrong", but there's plenty I'm dissatisfied with, and I may stick 9.10 over it. Not sure yet. We'll see.

The point is, while the 6-month cycle is not for you, it may be right for someone else. And anyway, you don't have to upgrade Ubuntu every 6 months. No one forces you to. You can stick with one version for years if you like.

Just because you don't want to upgrade every 6 months, is no reason to dump the 6-month cycle. Too many people want to impose their wishes on everyone. The OP included.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

New versions always have bugs. Bugs get squashed.

If you don't want to update every 6 months, you don't have to. There are also LTS versions.

Maybe I am a special case, but I downloaded and ran the 9.10 desktop version without any problems. *shrug*
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast