Thread: ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

Hybrid View

Beans

ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

hello, i'm new to the ubuntuforums' community but not to linux/ubuntu. today i bought a brand new laptop:

toshiba satellite l505d-s5983
    basic specs - amd II (m300) 2.0ghz dual core cpu, 3 gigs ddr2 ram , 320 gb hd

nothing special. ah and it came with windows 7! yaay....not so much, SO of course the FIRST thing i wanted to do when i got my brand new shiny laptop home was get rid of that pesky POS windows and put a REAL OS onto it! and what a coincidence ubuntu 9.10 just came out!! i figured it was meant to be~! but not so much.

SO here is my problem, tried an older distro (9.04) and didnt work, kept hanging before even getting into the install screen. so i scrapped that and tried 9.10, this time ...same thing, so i went poking around the bios (which has an advanced section about | | <-that big) and found AHCI was messing things up, switched that and rebooted and YES! got to page 1/6 of the install! or so i thought, it locked up...tried restarting locked again...and again....sooo now i'm stuck with a $500 paperweight until the next big update? because i THINK it has to do with the drivers but again i'm not an expert...which is why i'm here..

SO please...any thoughts/advice/help? even stabs in the dark are greatly appreciated at this point!
    thanks~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Re: ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

Beans

Unhappy Re: ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

I have the same laptop. After disabling AHCI I was able to use the alternate text-based install. But when I get to the main Ubuntu screen all input, mouse and keyboard, is ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Do you have an Intel graphics card? If so, you might have the same issue I'm having here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307886

Beans

No, my laptop has an ATI video card.

Beans

I spent most of today trying to install Fedora 10 or 11 on a Toshiba L505D-S5983 for someone else. When I could not make those work the guy let me try ubuntu 9.10. I did get it to work by adding "acpi=off" to the boot command. Everything then worked fine until you try to shutdown. Then it goes to a graphic pattern indication a graphic mode the cord does not understand and appears hung.

But the install worked and the installed ubuntu works as long as you get the "acpi=off" clause into the boot line. I was not sure the wireless was working either but that was not a priority today.

On the other hand, a clean install of 9.10 puts in grub2 which does not use /boot/grub/menu.lst and I have not yet learned how to edit the equivalent for grub2 to make a permanent fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

[QUOTE=kamiisama;8193470]hello, i'm new to the ubuntuforums' community but not to linux/ubuntu. today i bought a brand new laptop:

toshiba satellite l505d-s5983
    basic specs - amd II (m300) 2.0ghz dual core cpu, 3 gigs ddr2 ram , 320 gb hd

nothing special. ah and it came with windows 7! yaay....not so much, SO of course the FIRST thing i wanted to do when i got my brand new shiny laptop home was get rid of that pesky POS windows and put a REAL OS onto it! and what a coincidence ubuntu 9.10 just came out!! i figured it was meant to be~! but not so much.

If you got rid of that pesky POS windows ( which I assume was working perfectly ) have you found a REAL OS yet ? I have the same problem with 9.10 on a Toshiba P500 PSPG8A-01U004. Will 10.04 be any better ?

Beans

I am still waiting for a patch or something that will allow me to not have to turn off my acip because like stated earlier in this thread, when I set acip=off, I only get the use of one core, and my cooling fan doesn't ever slow down. Also, in no mode have i been able to get my battery meter working.

Has anyone else been able to get their battery meter working on this laptop?