Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

Beans

Re: ubuntu install problems on brand new laptop

Quote Originally Posted by newbie84 View Post
    The thing bother me most is the zombie size log files ( /var/log/kern.log.1 and /var/log/messages.1). Both files occupy about 3 GB hard disk space.
    The reason is that the system is perpetually generating in the kern.log file the following 3 lines:
    Is there a workaround for this problem?
    OK, I found a solution to the problem of log size:

run:

sudo gedit /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog

go to the 2nd { bracket, the one that's preceded by a bunch of /var/log/* files, then change the word "weekly" to "daily". This will cause those logs to be deleted everyday.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Linux_Lurker, you are correct. My post was more of a tangent and I'll edit it to reflect the inadvisability of running laptops with acpi off.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_Lurker View Post
    OK, I found a solution to the problem of log size:

run:

sudo gedit /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog

go to the 2nd { bracket, the one that's preceded by a bunch of /var/log/* files, then change the word "weekly" to "daily". This will cause those logs to be deleted everyday.
    Thanks,
    I did manage to trim the size of log files by assigning the size (e.g. 10 MB) in
    /etc/logrotate.conf
    and then executing
    #logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.conf
    Definitely, changing it form weekly to daily basis will help further.
    LM sensor for AMD K10 is not working with ubuntu karmic. So, no temperature data.
    With win7, the fan remains silent at idle but with ubuntu karmic (and winxp sp2), it revolves continuously at certain speed.
    That's why it is noisy and a bit unpleasant.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newbie84 View Post
    Thanks,
    I did manage to trim the size of log files by assigning the size (e.g. 10 MB) in
    /etc/logrotate.conf
    and then executing
    #logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.conf
    Definitely, changing it form weekly to daily basis will help further.
    LM sensor for AMD K10 is not working with ubuntu karmic. So, no temperature data.
    With win7, the fan remains silent at idle but with ubuntu karmic (and winxp sp2), it revolves continuously at certain speed.
    That's why it is noisy and a bit unpleasant.
    My fan is pretty quiet, I can barely hear it at idle. IMHO, maybe someone (not me, I finally got mine 100% stable, LOL), should try OpenSUSE. OpenSUSE will probably still need those boot switches to run, but since AMD sponsors OpenSUSE, I can't help but think that it would have better support for the latest AMD hardware than Ubuntu. If anybody does try it, please post your findings back here.

Beans

Lurker,

I am posting this from a Live bootup of the latest version of SUSE. pci=noacpi as a boot option worked. I haven't tried the other options yet.

There is no discussion of these problems with the L505D series Toshibas in the SUSE forums. Maybe they are not having them, but that is not consistent with my experience so far.

Colin

Beans

I have found a kernel bug that describes the problems that we are having with acpi, however I have not as of yet compiled my kernel with the patch. If anyone wants to try it before I get around to it, the link to the kernel dev thread is here: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14679

It appears as though the dscp table is being changed after it is initially read during boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by kamiisama View Post
    yeaaa nothing seems to work so far hah just suppose i'll have a nice shiny paper weight til the next big update?
    Huh?

Have you read the first 8 replies? Did you try any of them? If you did, what happened? If you didn't, what is this paperweight post about?
    If you wanna' help, great. But explain as you go. Otherwise, you're just giving away fish, and not the important stuff - pole, bait, net, etc...

Still a beginnerd, but not absolute...

Beans

I tried opensuse 11.1 live cd without any extra boot options, and yes, it still hangs.

Beans

I was looking at the changelog for the next release of kernel http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...Log-2.6.33-rc2 , and it appears as though there are a lot of acpi fixes. perhaps this will fix our problem of the acpi not working properly on this laptop? any thoughts?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerds View Post
    I was looking at the changelog for the next release of kernel http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...Log-2.6.33-rc2 , and it appears as though there are a lot of acpi fixes. perhaps this will fix our problem of the acpi not working properly on this laptop? any thoughts?
    33-rc2 can be obtained from here for tryout:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

I tried it over the weekend and it did not help.

Colin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast