Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was able to burn CD's in Karmic RC, but not in KK final

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: I was able to burn CD's in Karmic RC, but not in KK final

Thanks FredMcD,

But I already went back to Jaunty so I can burn cds. I had a look at my boot menu and all I see are generic kernels, no i386 in the list. I have my recovery options too. I could swear (sware?) my Karmic installation had the same choices. I went back to jaunty because Gnomebaker quit burning. I'm willing to wager that it's a problem with my hardware setup because it uses VIA (chipsets etc). I have been hearing that this brand is not the best for linux.

Thanks,
    James

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't think it is your chipset because I am having the same problem on a Shuttle SNGv3 with Nvidia chipset. Everything worked fine in Jaunty. Now the disk burns and K3b reports success, but the disk is not readable or bootable. Just a coaster. I've attached my output from lshw.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hello

I think burning in karmic is broken. I tried with k3b and in command line.

I have Ati chipset SB700/SB800, others guys have nvidia chipset.

Burning operations was ok in jaunty.

I've verified rights, purged k3b and cdrdao/wodim, reinstall, it's the same. Burning fails while simulating or writing in k3b and in all the other softwares.

We have to wait for updates or downgrade to jaunty. As for me I have a dual boot karmic/debian lenny and all is fine in lenny. This is no hardware fault.

gilou

Beans
    Hidden!

yea im having the same problem too , guess well just have to wait
    What arrests my attention...
    is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

Beans

Unhappy Re: I was able to burn CD's in Karmic RC, but not in KK final

Hello!

More of this strange burning story... My case seems identical. In Jaunty burning cds/dvds was just a breeze, at some point in Karmic everything went to hell... It seems to me that it is a kernel or/and wodim issue.

I've burned many many, more than 10 cds/dvds with various methods and programs. And I always get successful writes BUT unreadable/unmountable media.

This is undoubtfully the worst problem I have ever faced with Ubuntu (at some point I've tried Debian 5 and it produces similar results).

An hdparm produces some interesting results similar to those posted in other threads concerning burning problems in Karmic, some IO failures.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just seems to be proving that Karmic is not fit for purpose - which is a shame, as I much prefer koalas to jackals.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

FWIW, all my problems went away with a clean install of Karmic. My old system had been updated several times, starting with 7.10 I think. I also had non-supported sources in my /etc/apt/sources.list, so this may have contributed to the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12