Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI & Nvidia: no X, just blinking on 2.6.31 (Karmic 9.10)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ATI & Nvidia: no X, just blinking on 2.6.31 (Karmic 9.10)

Then we are definitely talking about two separate issues here - one with nvidia which does not correctly compile into the 2.6.31 kernel as far as the included 185.xx drivers are concerned, and the other with gdm, which respawns eternally after a failure to find the proprietary drivers and does not fall back onto vesa. I hope these issues shall be fixed soon - the gdm issue, and that the newer 190.xx drivers which do not have the powermizer issue be included in the karmic upgrade. And then I shall proceed to have a taste of karmic before lynx!
    Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've also had the flickering screen on boot, which ends up with a conventional non-graphical login prompt. The flickering meant that entering username was just about possible as you can get a few goes to get the letters in, but password entry was a non-starter. This occurred on upgrade from 32-bit Jaunty to Karmic on my desktop PC (Asus P5QL Pro MoBo, S775 Intel P43, Gigabyte GF 9600GT 1Gb GDDR3 PCIE, twin screens CTX PR960F CRT and AOC LM919 TFT).
    I managed to get a root prompt when booting into recovery mode, and bearing in mind the slight quirkiness of the Nvidia setup managed to stumble to a fix with the following:
    1) # vi /etc/usplash.conf - changed xres to 1024 and yres to 768
    2) # update-initramfs -u
    3) # apt-get remove usplash usplash-theme-ubuntu
    4) # apt-get autoremove
    5) # apt-get install nvidia-modaliases nvidia-glx-185
    Frankly, I'm unsure if one or all of these were needed - and there was the odd reboot in between to see what might have happened! Reading up online it seemed like a few folk had problems with usplash and Nvidia, and these 'felt' like the likely culprits for the problem I had. Once done, everything booted up fine - to my considerable relief, as the prospect of flattening was not pleasant - and the system is working just great now. Including the Nvidia setup under System - Administration - NVIDIA X Server Settings.
    I would suggest that the flickering problem at boot for systems similar to mine *might* be cured by getting a recovery session and re-installing the Nvidia drivers.

(Edit)
    # uname -a
    Linux <me> 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    Last edited by m3topaz; November 3rd, 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention Kernel details

Beans

Guys,

I saw this (the flickering shell) when I tried to install and boot the desktop-pae kernel. I resolved it by installing all the headers, kernel-source, etc. I think it may be related to the proprietary graphics drivers and the on-the-fly compilation of suitable modules. Try logging in to the cli on another tty and install the restricted-modules, kernel headers, source, etc. for your kernel and then reboot.

Beans

Hi all,

I had the same issue with a Silicon Integrated Systems card.

I booted in the recovery mode and moved xorg.conf to xorg.conf.old. Then rebooted again and the problem solved.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
    Luis Miguel Navas

Beans

This resolved it for me. I was missing linus-headers-generic-pae. The first reboot after installing this package, almost looked like it didn't work (still flickering) but after waiting a minute or two X eventually came up fine. Subsequent reboots worked perfectly with no flicker.

Quote Originally Posted by apostate View Post
    Guys,

I saw this (the flickering shell) when I tried to install and boot the desktop-pae kernel. I resolved it by installing all the headers, kernel-source, etc. I think it may be related to the proprietary graphics drivers and the on-the-fly compilation of suitable modules. Try logging in to the cli on another tty and install the restricted-modules, kernel headers, source, etc. for your kernel and then reboot.

Beans

I was having this flickering screen on the TTY1 prompt problem.
    My fix for a Dell E1750 with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Card:

(ssh into the machine if possible, or boot in recovery mode)

Code:
    su -
    service stop gdm
    apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-ati
    apt-get autoremove
    apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-ati libdrm-radeon1
    Xorg -configure
    cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    init 6
    This will blast your current xorg.conf away. Sorry. Back it up if you're sentimental.

The big problem I had, besides the initial graphics floundering, was that when the xserver-xorg-video-radeon package was installed, it didn't install libdrm-radeon1. This caused Xorg -configure to spit out a nasty segfault.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu will not boot successfully with 2.6.31 kernel, but fine with 2.6.28 kernel

Quote Originally Posted by fasmike View Post
    I was not on a network, so I had some trouble doing exactly what you said above, but your method did work, thanks! This is what I did:

1. Use a different computer to download the NVIDIA-Linux-*.run for my new laptop
    2. Copy that new driver to a USB drive
    3. Boot to recovery mode on the new laptop (had to look this up):
      Hit ESC just after your Bios loads when (in theory) you see the "Grub loading blah blah" (it was WAY too fast to see it on my machine)
      A menu will come up with boot options, select the one that ends in (recovery mode)
      You are dropped at the root@yournmachine:~# prompt
    4. Plug my USB drive into the laptop (after a few seconds I saw some stuff scroll by the screen)
    5. Mount the USB drive (had to look this one up):
      Find the drive with the command: sudo fdisk -l (mine was /dev/sdb1)
      Create a directory to mount it as: sudo mkdir /media/external
      Mount the drive: sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/external -o uid=1000,gid=100,utf8,dmask-027/fmask=137
      NOTE: if your USB is not FAT## you need a different -t option
    6. Copied the new driver to my home directory (may not have been necessary)
    7. execute the NVIDIA-Linux-*.run file
      I had to change permissions on the file before I could run it: chmod 777 NVIDIA*
      Ran the file with: ./NVIDIA*.run
    8. Follow the instructions
    9. Reboot

This made the flickering login problem go away and allowed me to get in and start using Ubuntu on my new machine.
    This solved the flickering problem(after a clean install on hp dv5) for me (thankfully,hv a working installation now ).Many Thanks.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu will not boot successfully with 2.6.31 kernel, but fine with 2.6.28 kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Shikhar Saxena View Post
    This solved the flickering problem(after a clean install on hp dv5) for me (thankfully,hv a working installation now ).Many Thanks.
    No success for me with this configuration I'm using a GForce Go 7600 with latest 190.40 and 185, and this one patched.

I only managed to stop blinking for 2 seconds, then blink again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fooons View Post
    No success for me with this configuration I'm using a GForce Go 7600 with latest 190.40 and 185, and this one patched.

I only managed to stop blinking for 2 seconds, then blink again
    You could try the other way of downloading directly from the nvidia ftp(the 'prayer' way,though that didn't work for me) as said above.there are some more options, but i am also new to this and don't hv that much know how.(btw, i hv a 9600 gt if that helps ).Hope u get it working .

Beans

By now i have tried most of the solutions posted here. So far i've had no luck.

I have a Lenovo T400 laptop with ATI graphics. I installed 9.10 and have XP Pro installed as well, in a dual boot.

I tried to download ATI drivers manually, tried to have 9.10 install it for me(the small icon telling you proprietary drivers are available), and i tried envy. Every time i'm rewarded with the flickering login screen. Envy made it even worse, as trying to use envyng -t from the recovery apparently did not manage to remove the drivers entirely, so i'm left with a black screen when i should see the login.

Using Vesa drivers really is not a option, other than for emergency recovery.
    I see people get their Nvidia graphics issues fixed, but has anyone been able to get ATI drivers up and running at all?

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast