Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you upgrade to Karmic before disabling restricted or 3rd party drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you upgrade to Karmic before disabling restricted or 3rd party drivers?

Well friends, if you (like me) went ahead and upgraded to Karmic but failed to disable any restricted or 3rd party drivers, you may encounter problems.

I have a home-built PC that has an nvidia GeForce 5500 AGP video card, and I use the restricted nvidia drivers. I forgot to disable them before I upgraded. I had downloaded the Alternate Installation ISO via bittorrent, so I was all prepared to skip the network install headaches.

The install went fine, but when I rebooted, my screen was flashing so violently that I could not even log in. The GUI logon screen wasn't even presented. Things were so whacky, my system wasn't even fully booting, so I couldn't SSH to it from another machine!

How I fixed this

Luckily, I had a bootable Knoppix CD. I was able to boot into Knoppix, mount my Karmic system's HDD as read/write, and go into etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver from nvidia to nv (the one that comes with Ubuntu). Once I did that, I was able to boot into Karmic with no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Did you upgrade to Karmic before disabling restricted or 3rd party drivers?

Thanks for posting this! I needed it, when I too wasn't psychic enough to know to disable restricted drivers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I upgraded netbook remix on my Dell Mini 9 with the 3rd party Broadcom driver in use. I had no option since it was being used for my connection. It posed no problem for me. But as I said, I had no choice.

Beans

I did a clean install and when I activated restricted Nvidia driver and rebooted, I had same shaking screen w/no login. Unfortunately, I could not restart as it seems to have killed my mobo. Asus m2n32-sli deluxe with 7600gt cards in sli. Probably should have stuck w/9.04 for a while.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Upgrade should automatically disable 3rd party software. It did on mine. I will report back if there is trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is there a possibility to open /etc/x11/xorg.conf in the recovery mode? (text only)

EDIT: yes there is. Never mind.
    Last edited by wsxaz; October 31st, 2009 at 11:29 AM.

Beans

Question Re: Did you upgrade to Karmic before disabling restricted or 3rd party drivers?

Ok, I am booted to an old Ubuntu 6.06 LiveCD. It also operates only in text mode. How do I find and mount the hard disk rw so I can edit the config? I have tried "sudo mount -nrw /dev/sda4" but it responds that /dev/sda4 cannot be found in /etc/fstab.

Or, alternatively, how do I boot to "recovery mode"? I assume that would be booting to the hard disk.

Thanks, Tim
    Last edited by ratcheer; October 31st, 2009 at 07:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joplass View Post
    Upgrade should automatically disable 3rd party software. It did on mine. I will report back if there is trouble.
    This seems reasonable. It should also notify the user that it is doing so.

Beans

Question Re: Did you upgrade to Karmic before disabling restricted or 3rd party drivers?

Ok, I have my PC booted into GUI mode after booting in recovery mode and editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf, as described in the first post of this thread.

However, it is still not using the nVidia driver. How do I properly install the nVidia driver for 9.10 without getting it all fouled up, again. I seem to have the understanding that, with 9.10, I am no longer supposed to download the proprietart driver from nVidia's website and install it myself. What am I supposed to do, instead?

Thanks,
    Tim

Beans

Ok, I have the video driver all fixed. I downloaded 190.42 from nVidia and installed it in the usual manner.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast