Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 9.10 internet not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation ubuntu 9.10 internet not working

Hey i am trying to connect to the internet but it wont let me, i don't get any error or nothing just wont connect, i install ubuntu 9.04 and everything is good, does anyone have any idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: ubuntu 9.10 internet not working

Right-click the network icon near the upper-right corner and enable networking. Wait a second to see if you get a "Connection Established" message. If not, then left-click the icon and see if there's an available connection. Select one.

Did that do it?
    sı ɯǝ1qoɹd ɹnoʎ ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs ı ʞuıɥʇ ı

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: ubuntu 9.10 internet not working

Nope i set up a DSL connection and its not connecting, its like something its blocking it. Just wont connect and i am only having this problem in ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Same here, 9.10 64bit. It worked fine with the 64bit RC. but now it's dead with the final.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by TRUJohn View Post
    Nope i set up a DSL connection and its not connecting, its like something its blocking it. Just wont connect and i am only having this problem in ubuntu 9.10
    Did you set it up manually?

I just noticed, over on a test system, that having edited a static IPv4 network connection and hitting the "Apply" button, the DHCP connection was dropped...and that was it. I had to open those settings back up and hit "Apply" again before it worked.

Don't EVEN get me started on Network Manager. There's very little documentation, the gnome applet has an interface that would make Mother Theresa scream obscenities and gut puppies...

On laptops, I remove it, then install wicd. It just works.

It's worth noting that certain network chip vendors don't open-source their drivers and these get tossed in with the restriced hardware drivers. So, check that via System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers. If there's a network driver there, activate it (if you can)...
    Last edited by Giblet5; October 30th, 2009 at 02:31 AM. Reason: additional
    sı ɯǝ1qoɹd ɹnoʎ ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs ı ʞuıɥʇ ı

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: ubuntu 9.10 internet not working

I went to system -> administrator -> then upgrade manager and i upgraded to version 9.10 i restarted the PC and it wont work. So i attempted to set the connection again and it simply would not connect, so i thought it was a problem from my ISP but nope it was the ubuntu upgrade that did all the damage soooooooo how do we fix it because nothing is working

Beans

I have a similar problem. I setup the wired connection and am unable to browse/download packages.

I'm able to get ping replies from google.com or any other site. But I'm not able to use the internet for anything else.

Its working fine on windows. I have this problem since I installed 9.10 a few hours ago.

I'm using Intel's DX58SO motherboard, so I guess a problem with the driver is also a possibility. I'd like to know if it is just a problem with my board or with the new release.
    Last edited by Hemanth S A; October 30th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Hemanth S A View Post
    I have a similar problem. I setup the wired connection and am unable to browse/download packages.

I'm able to get ping replies from google.com or any other site. But I'm not able to use the internet for anything else.

Exactly the same problem here... First time I experience something like this with a new Ubuntu release. Just with 9.10, Ubuntu 9.04 works fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There seems to be a problem with dns. You should be able to fix the problem by right clicking on Network-Manager in the top panel and selecting edit connection. Next click the IPv4 Settings tab and select:

Code:
    Automatic (DHCP) address only
    From the method drop down. In DNS servers teat box enter your isp's dns addresses, then click apply. You should be asked for your password, you Will get a notification that your cable is disconnected, give it 3o seconds (or less), it should create a connection, and you should be good to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm having the same problem here.
    in jaunty my dsl connections worked just fine but in karmic it's become a real pain.
    I tried evrything but it's not working anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast