Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Beans

Re: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

As has previously been suggested to me both on this thread and via some private email I have just now added in details of rvm's PPA for SMPlayer. Thanks again to rvm for making this available .

Abdrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: Howto: Utilise the svn MPlayer to Improve Karmic Koala's 'mplayer-nogui' Package

Hum... I've never seen this before! Help?

(Reading database ... 227977 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking mplayer-nogui (from .../mplayer-nogui_3:1.0~svn-r29920-1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /home/dan/mplayer/mplayer-nogui_3:1.0~svn-r29920-1_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite '/usr/local/bin/mplayer', which is also in package mplayer 3:1.0~svn-r29768-1
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /home/dan/mplayer/mplayer-nogui_3:1.0~svn-r29920-1_i386.deb
    /var/tmp/tmp.SGERwrayzc/dpkginstall.log (END)

Beans

Hi helpdeskdan,

Quote Originally Posted by helpdeskdan View Post
    Hum... I've never seen this before! Help?
    Normally dpkg upgrades the copy of MPlayer automagically but obviously this is not working in this case. Try uninstalling MPlayer through Synaptic instead and the run the install again, it should install cleanly after this.

All the best,

Andrew

Beans

Turns out I had to uninstall the last svn mplayer I had installed. One of the options in aptitude was to replace it with mplayer-nogui which I did, for no other reason than to keep it from uninstalling many of the dep's like smplayer. After doing this, it worked fine!

Thanks again for your continued work on the excellent Mplayer guide!!

Beans

Hi helpdeskdan,

Turns out I had to uninstall the last svn mplayer I had installed. One of the options in aptitude was to replace it with mplayer-nogui which I did, for no other reason than to keep it from uninstalling many of the dep's like smplayer. After doing this, it worked fine!
    Excellent news .

Thanks again for your continued work on the excellent Mplayer guide!!
    I keep saying that this guide will be the last but I guess I will continue for a while longer while I am still enjoying the challenge .

Andrew

Beans

By the way, that ppa for smplayer should be:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu karmic main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu karmic main

Beans

Hi helpdeskdan,

By the way, that ppa for smplayer should be:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu karmic main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu karmic main
    Exactly what I thought . This works of course but I have used the new cool syntax suggested here:

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/smplayer

All the best,

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've decided to try this guide out!

I have one question though: when you are about to compile this, is it possible to make your own deb or any sort of package that makes is easier to install again later? Or do you need to enter all these commands each time you install?

Thanks for your work!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by viking_maniac View Post

I have one question though: when you are about to compile this, is it possible to make your own deb or any sort of package that makes is easier to install again later? Or do you need to enter all these commands each time you install?

Thanks for your work!
    Why would you want to install the same version "later"? By defnition, it will be outdated.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by viking_maniac View Post

Thanks for your work!
    viking_maniac,

The last line checkinstall will create a .deb file for you and install it from there, the mplayer.deb file would be on your desktop and you can install it later but the whole purpose of this exercise is to have the latest, greatest Mplayer installed and therefore updating is the way, I do it every month or so and stay with the cutting edge mplayer.

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast