Thread: PLEASE READ: Upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation PLEASE READ: Upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10

So you want to move to Karmic? Awesome! Please read this, as it will help you solve any problems you may encounter or answer questions you may have.

Info

First, a few notes:

Doing a clean install? Don't read this; download a CD image and install normally: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

Are you upgrading from the 9.10 Beta, Release Candidate, or an older Alpha? Then don't follow these instructions! All you need to do is apply all updates in Update Manager and you'll be all set.

You do not need an Ubuntu CD or ISO to upgrade to 9.10 from an existing 9.04 system, provided it has Internet access. If you don't have Internet access, see the "Upgrading Using the Alternate CD/DVD" section on the provided link below.

The upgrade will typically take at least one to two hours. At home on my 512k, it was six. At my university, it takes about two hours. On average, 600-700MB of updates will be downloaded, but there may be more if you have installed a lot of packages.

Upgrading

See the Upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 page for information on how to upgrade, what to expect, and problems that may come up.

I highly recommend you read the release notes for 9.10, just in case your system might pose a problem for the upgrade.

Optional: Instead of using Update Manager to download the updates directly, you can download the Alternate CD via HTTP or torrents and upgrade using that if you're so inclined. Details here.

Once the upgrade begins, do not cancel it, turn off your computer, or do anything that might interfere with the update process. (Go watch a movie or grab some food!)

When you're done, enjoy! If you read through the upgrade notes and release notes but still caught a snag, or something still doesn't work with your hardware, feel free to post here.

Enjoy your new 9.10 system!

(@staff: someone unstick this a week or so after release. i'll likely forget. or update it if you're so inclined.)
    Last edited by jpeddicord; October 30th, 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: PLEASE READ: Upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10

Unsticking now; hopefully this helped those during the initial upgrade rush.

Objections? No? Gone.