Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Shell

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: GNOME Shell

taking performance and efficiency into account with gnome-shell, many users will just switch to xfce4 or just find gnome and install it themeselves...gnome-shell may have innovated a concept, but in a bad way...
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    I don't like the design and the workflow of GNOME Shell.
    Design and workflow are words that should not be used in the same sentence as GNOME Shell. Especially not workflow. Well, there are no workflow really? Uh, it's terrible. *shrugs*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You nay-sayers can gripe if you like, but I still think Gnome-shell is a huge step forward in usability over the existing Gnome UI. I've been using Gnome-shell as my default UI for a couple of months now, and I find it much nicer to work with than any of the existing major desktops on *nix. I can't wait to see where they take the final product.

Beans

still think Gnome-shell is a huge step forward in usability over the existing Gnome UI
    Why ? Because you need to use your keyboard or because the screen is flying in and out all the time ? Maybe is because multiple desktops concept is the 90% of the idea, when people barely uses 2 desktops.

Gnome-shell is far from a good a idea (the way it is now), and I think instead of lose time/resources on it people would appreciate more another initiatives like QTGnome.
    Last edited by optimisme; October 31st, 2009 at 12:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Gnome-Shell, in its current form, is a gigantic cluster****.

It shouldn't take me 5 extra seconds to find the app I want to start.

Beans

Words cannot express my hatred for Gnome Shell ..... well, they can actually, but I'd get banned within seconds.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by optimisme View Post
    Why ? Because you need to use your keyboard or because the screen is flying in and out all the time ? Maybe is because multiple desktops concept is the 90% of the idea, when people barely uses 2 desktops.

Gnome-shell is far from a good a idea (the way it is now), and I think instead of lose time/resources on it people would appreciate more another initiatives like QTGnome.
    Thanks for taking the time to make completely wrong assumptions about my preference. I've already covered some of my reasons in another thread and just because you don't think it's a good idea doesn't make it so. Read the mailing list referenced by Merk42 in his original post and you'll find plenty of other folks who have also found benefits to using Gnome-shell. If you can't accept that some people are capable of making good, productive use of this tool, that is not my problem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Starks View Post
    Gnome-Shell, in its current form, is a gigantic cluster****.

It shouldn't take me 5 extra seconds to find the app I want to start.
    Why is it taking you 5 extra seconds? I've been finding it much faster than the menus in Gnome 2.X. Tap the Super key and type a couple characters and tap the Enter key. No messy menu navigation unless you really want it. Personally, I find Gnome-shell much more productive. It took me a couple weeks to get used to it and modify a couple of work habits to suit the change in environment, but now I can't imagine going back to the more traditional Gnome interface at all.

Beans
    Distro

It took me a couple weeks to get used to it and modify a couple of work habits to suit the change in environment, but now I can't imagine going back to the more traditional Gnome interface at all.
    That's the problem for me, I'm not going to modify my work habits for a interface..
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by optimisme
    multiple desktops concept is the 90% of the idea
    This myth, apparently mostly perpetuated by people who haven't used GNOME Shell even once, needs to die.

Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast