Page 11 of 176 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Shell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNOME Shell

Quote Originally Posted by Toadinator View Post
    It can even be configured to behave like Windows 7's taskbar (it has a Panel mode ). I have had almost no problems so far and I'm running the "unstable" version.
    I'd like to see a screenshot of that, could you please upload one here i'd be happy and owe you one
    Edit: NM found @ youtube

Beans
    Distro

While I still haven't been able to made a newer version than 2.28.0 run on my machine (and I am certainly not going to start Gentoo'ing it and building my own) given the recent designs I am warming up to the gnome-shell. I am still unhappy with the decision to use Javascript but then again I am free to rewrite it if I decide I feel strongly about it. I am worried about the in-process javascript extension stuff and I worry about a number of other decisions.. that being said I am no longer as much against it as I have been.

There I said it.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    While I still haven't been able to made a newer version than 2.28.0 run on my machine (and I am certainly not going to start Gentoo'ing it and building my own) given the recent designs I am warming up to the gnome-shell. I am still unhappy with the decision to use Javascript but then again I am free to rewrite it if I decide I feel strongly about it. I am worried about the in-process javascript extension stuff and I worry about a number of other decisions.. that being said I am no longer as much against it as I have been.

There I said it.
    Nooo not you too, you're my strongest ally!

Seriously though, building it from scratch is EASY. I get confused when I get stuff and have to do MAKE or whatever it is and was able to build GNOME Shell.

What recent designs made you warm up to it?
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

There I said it.

I've tried to like it, but I just don't see how it's really that... practical.

I mean, just today I caught wind that my boss was warming up to Ubuntu more and more. And I was almost saddened. I just think anybody in a business situation would be disappointed if Ubuntu, the distro everybody knows about as being one of the most user friendly, has an interface that looks like that. I just can't see it being applied to a production environment that easily.

But granted, I have to be fair. I have a lot of faith in the Gnome developers and I'm sure they can whip something real nice up. Plus it's entirely too early to really throw a solid opinion around yet, so I'm looking at this as a user who just needs an interface to get work done and I'm basing my opinion off of the current state of gnome shell -today- as I see it. But I truly, truly hope the rumors I've been reading are false, in regard to Gnome dropping all panels and using ONLY the shell. I really think a lot of users might turn away and drop it cold turkey if they don't have the option to switch back. But fortunately I've taken the time to get to know KDE, and we're pretty good friends now. So if I have to make a switch, at least I know it'll be a decent one.

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: GNOME Shell

Well--the thing that I will point out is that I am VERY sure as soon as a "finalized" format comes out there will be people hacking it in all kinds of ways--And I would really bet that mods/config GUI & howto sites/blogs will grow like the weeds in my backyard

So, within (I guess) 6 months after it is released we will have plenty of ways to change/mod the shell to our liking...In a way, the more people that dislike the stock shell will promote the greatest changes to it...

I do remember when Gnome2 came out & the outcry of the community at that time was about as bad as it is now.......and I'm sure that a "Gnome4" will have the same problems 7 years from now........I guess that "proves" that there is really nothing new under the sun..

To end this rambling post---in the long run, we as users will adapt to and change things to the ways we use our systems best---GNU/Linux allows us to do that....I want to work with the developers & see how it is being done---so I can change things to ways more of my liking when the Shell is "final"....
    Last edited by autocrosser; November 20th, 2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: more thoughts
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Nooo not you too, you're my strongest ally!

Seriously though, building it from scratch is EASY. I get confused when I get stuff and have to do MAKE or whatever it is and was able to build GNOME Shell.

What recent designs made you warm up to it?
    I have a better feel for where they are going now, the messaging system and tray seem to be well designed for my use.

I am not liking it yet having not tried it for extensive periods (having not made it run tends to do that) but I am warming to the idea. I am still on the naysayer side but I consider myself more prone to not considering it's designers and developers total imbeciles.

Another reason is that I really liked the Moblin interface and thought this was where we should go and I forced myself to use it for a long time. I did however find that this next gen interface was horribly flawed in actual use for me. I got to the point where when I was trying to design it in my head it came to borrowing ideas from the shell to make it functional. I still think moblin e.g. has communications much more right than g-s currently but I have a feeling that it will be easier to fix that in g-s than fixing the multiple other things that are wrong with moblin.

As for building it, it is not because I can't figure it out. I used Gentoo for years and before that I did Linux from Scratch. It's 2009, I'm nearing 30.. there has got to be a better way, to me that is providing daily git snapshot builds - like we have for chromium. That way I can focus on testing the software rather than building it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

As for building it, it is not because I can't figure it out. I used Gentoo for years and before that I did Linux from Scratch. It's 2009, I'm nearing 30.. there has got to be a better way, to me that is providing daily git snapshot builds - like we have for chromium. That way I can focus on testing the software rather than building it.
    That would be neat, I agree to that. Especially since it sometimes fails to build. Still, downloading and running the install script and then a regular "jhbuild build" is ok by me for the time being.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by [h2o] View Post
    That would be neat, I agree to that. Especially since it sometimes fails to build. Still, downloading and running the install script and then a regular "jhbuild build" is ok by me for the time being.
    Then that indicates a problem on the part of the gnome-shell developers in forgetting to include automated build testing in their process - gstreamer here is a fine example of how this technic greatly improves code quality especially over time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Then that indicates a problem on the part of the gnome-shell developers in forgetting to include automated build testing in their process - gstreamer here is a fine example of how this technic greatly improves code quality especially over time.
    To be fair it has very seldom been due to code that does not compile but to the fact that new dependencies have been added which were not installed on my machine. Downloading and running the setup script and then rebuilding everything usually works fine and takes me less than five minutes. Still, daily builds would be nice.

Beans

I have told to them. They haven't done any usability research, they just don't have enough resources for that. So, let's cancel these tales about superior usability over the current gnome. The current gnome-shell looks like a toy that will do things harder to use.

Page 11 of 176 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast