Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9.04 and 9.10 on a HP Envy 15

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: 9.04 and 9.10 on a HP Envy 15

Quote Originally Posted by jdos2 View Post
    Ubuntu 9.10.

Before the change to X 1.6, the accelerated closed source stuff from ATI was fantastic. 3D worked extremely well.
    If you've got one of the earlier models with the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4830 graphics then have you tried the latest ATI Catalyst 9.12 driver? It was released on 1/27/2010 and the Release Notes list that chipset as supported, plus in the "Support for New Operating Systems" section, it shows Ubuntu 9.10 as fully supported now.

That's the good news. The not so good news is that HP appear to have updated the HP Envy range recently to give you the option of either a Core i5 or Core i7 cpu. At the same time they've also updated the graphics to the newer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5830, which is not on the ATI Catalyst 9.12 driver's supported list. So if you've not already got an Envy and want to buy a new one you're buggered until ATI catch up again

Beans

I wonder how you guys installed Ubuntu on the Envy 15? When I try the Ubuntu install disk, I get an "Unable to find a medium containing a live file system" error from BusyBox. I can't get neither the Ubuntu installer, nor the Live CD to get on...

what am I doing wrong?

Beans

since then I managed to make it work by using a bootable USB drive. but I have two major issues at hand:

grub wasn't installed, and it doesn't want to install either. it has a problem with the intel hardware raid in the laptop, as it is not able to recognize the /dev/mapper/isw_cdfcbdcfed_RAID-0 device, even if I put it into /boot/grub/device.map. I can only boot the laptop by using the super grub boot USB stick, and then manually booting the Linux partition. (wonder why this is not done by the 'official' ubuntu grub)

the second issue is with the wifi card, which is always noted as 'device not ready' by NetworkManager (no, it's not turned off, then it says its turned off). lspci says the following about the device:

Code:
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 4239 (rev 35)
            Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1311
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 35
            Memory at d3000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
            Capabilities: <access denied>
            Kernel driver in use: iwlagn
            Kernel modules: iwlagn
    this is on 9.10, with everything updated to the latest.

smaller annoyances like the trackpad are for later....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdos2 View Post
    With a modern Ubuntu build (2.6.33-020633rc2-generic), no ACPI errors.

I don't think the Clickpad patch is applied to this particular kernel, but ACPI is working.

Still have graphics corruption for the darkening overlays. That's another issue altogether.
    I have a bios bug which can only be resolved by booting with acpi=off in ubuntu.Actually since its due to a bug in the kernel none of the linux distros seem to boot without acpi=off option. It seems the ACPI problem is fixed in 2.6.33-020633rc2-generic.And the latest stable kernel is 2.6.34.
    Can you plz explain how kernel development cycle works?
    Can you please tell me how to know if the latest stable kernel includes that fix? I tried compiling and using the 2.6.34 but still it doesnt work. How can i get 2.6.33-020633rc2-generic kernel?
    Do i always need to compile it or i can simply "install" them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Stay away from HP/Compaq -- built-in proprietory functions inhibit anything not pre-defined, it seems.
    See post by zenwalker in linuxforums.org on the same matter re: HP.
    Dell loads ubuntu on some of their machines -- a good indication!
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123