Thread: Favourite ubuntu hacks and tweaks!

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Favourite ubuntu hacks and tweaks!

Alright, so I am getting pretty into messing with ubuntu, the options for customization are amazing compared to windows! I once had an old install of Jaunty that looked just like OSX. Couldn't figure out how to change it back, so I reinstalled. What are some of your favourite tweaks, in ANY category?
    Could use some help with a down payment for a car. http://www.gofundme.com/11z6hg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Favourite ubuntu hacks and tweaks!

install preload. it makes programs load faster. just install an it autoamtically figures out with files to preload to ram.
    install flashblock (firefox extension), only load the flash files you click on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nice! I will look into preload now!

I downloaded UbuntuTweak, and it is pretty cool! It makes it really easy to do a bunch of appearance and system tweaks, but offers it all in one place! Installs to Applications>System Tools>Ubuntu Tweak.
    Could use some help with a down payment for a car. http://www.gofundme.com/11z6hg

Beans
    Hidden!

Pre-load never did anything for my system when I installed it. All it did was ask for password each time I booted up my pc, so annoying...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Pasdar View Post
    Pre-load never did anything for my system when I installed it. All it did was ask for password each time I booted up my pc, so annoying...
    thats very strange. it should never need to ask for anything. you should not even notice it is there, apart from the speed up. are you sure you got the right package. its just called 'preload'

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    thats very strange. it should never need to ask for anything. you should not even notice it is there, apart from the speed up. are you sure you got the right package. its just called 'preload'
    Yeah, installed it and added it to services to run upon startup. However, it required admin permission each time I booted up. Other than that I never noticed any speed difference (on a high end laptop with 4GB Memory).