Thread: Samsung hard disk detected as Qamsune, Unable to proceed with installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Samsung hard disk detected as Qamsune, Unable to proceed with installation.

Hi Buddies,

I know this is not the right place but i have no other choice. My IBM machine with Intel 82845 board. When i tried to install Ubuntu Karmic Beta, it was unable to proceed with the partition cause my 40 GB hdd was being detected as 8 GB and was renamed from Samsung To Qamsune. I Googled but found nothing except updating the BIOS but it also didn't solve the problem. The hdd is being correctly detected on another system but this IBM machine is not detecting any other hdd either.

Any solution please?

Beans

Re: Samsung hard disk detected as Qamsune, Unable to proceed with installation.

What size does your BIOS detect it as?
    If it were 8GB, then it would either be a BIOS settings problem, or a jumper on the drive (which seems to be ruled out by the detection by another machine).
    Has it ever been used as 40GB with your machine?

I'd be wary about trying it out with Karmic - there are plenty of problems reported, and it would be better to use a full release version, rather than a beta.
    Derek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Samsung hard disk detected as Qamsune, Unable to proceed with installation.

It was some problem with the motherboard IDE channel. The HDD is working fine on all other PCs. I think that motherboard is overaged and will have to be recycled. It is a freaky P-III. Anyway thanks.