Thread: wifi problem

Beans

Question wifi problem

Hello, can anyone help me please? I don't know what happened to my Starling NetBook I bought recently.I just clicked OK in updates and then after updating all the files, all of a sudden I lost internet connection. Since then I couldn't connect to any network. Also,
    the light for the wifi is not working. Lastly, when I try to look at the ip address,
    instead of ip address of the NetBook, it says UP BROADCAST MULTICAST.
    What do you think is the problem? Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Red face Re: wifi problem

Maybe your hardware (wifi) switch is off? Try turning it on. Either a sliding switch or touch-sensitive.

Beans

Smile Re: wifi problem

Quote Originally Posted by John Santos View Post
    Hello, can anyone help me please? I don't know what happened to my Starling NetBook I bought recently.I just clicked OK in updates and then after updating all the files, all of a sudden I lost internet connection. Since then I couldn't connect to any network. Also,
    the light for the wifi is not working. Lastly, when I try to look at the ip address,
    instead of ip address of the NetBook, it says UP BROADCAST MULTICAST.
    What do you think is the problem? Thank you.
    Hi John --

I had the same problem. I did a big upgrade and lost wifi completely.

In going to Administration | Hardware Drivers, I found nothing listed for my Starling Netbook. I connected the Starling1 to ethernet using my home router, bypassing wifi, and chose Administration | System76 Driver and went to the Restore System tab. The screen says it won't destroy your data and indeed it did not. The process only took about two minutes (I have a fairly fast DSL connection) and at the end I had a driver for RealTek RTL8187 Wifi cards Licence: Free showing on my list of dirvers. Wifi is now working again.

Kirby