Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Im very dissapointed with Karmic...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Im very dissapointed with Karmic...

It might seem stupid but I love to install an imperfect version and receive the patches as problems get fixed.

It keeps me surprised. From time to time I can go OH! They fixed this. Awesome! That way it gives me little bursts of happiness. It's happiness management.

Also, Linux is not about using a flawless OS for free that others would work there arms off for end users to be happy or rant when it's not working the way they want. It's about helping. So install an imperfect OS and finding the bugs and reporting them are part of the deal. That's what makes a 6 month cycle possible.
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I can only support the OP:
    - GRUB2 -> Disaster! Boot is now slow and ugly again. Love it.
    - "Software Center" -> Disaster! Usability, ever heard it?
    - New Artwork -> Hideous! Unprofessional! Yuck! Say it after me: Dark themes are for teens, not for people doing serious work.
    - U1 -> Unusable! Obscured by clouds...
    - FF 3.5 -> Great that I'm forced to Karmic to have it well integrated in my Desktop. But wait, why are my Fonts looking so bad now???
    - Evolution/"CouchDB" -> Best way to make Evo even slower and more unstable.
    - Deskbar -> Crashes and freezes Panel on Login...

and so on and so on. So far, this is te worst release ever, except the one or other case, when a "release" did not even boot or could not be installed. This is really sad, since Ubuntu was working great and improving since Hardy. Trend broken, I'd say.

And the 64Bit variant is still not improving. In opposite - flash used to work for me in Jaunty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I find it amusing that there are actually people who expected PulseAudio and ATI drivers not to cause trouble in Karmic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ndefontenay View Post
    It might seem stupid but I love to install an imperfect version and receive the patches as problems get fixed.

It keeps me surprised. From time to time I can go OH! They fixed this. Awesome! That way it gives me little bursts of happiness. It's happiness management.
    You made me lol
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bela42 View Post
    I can only support the OP:
    - GRUB2 -> Disaster! Boot is now slow and ugly again. Love it.
    - "Software Center" -> Disaster! Usability, ever heard it?
    - New Artwork -> Hideous! Unprofessional! Yuck! Say it after me: Dark themes are for teens, not for people doing serious work.
    - U1 -> Unusable! Obscured by clouds...
    - FF 3.5 -> Great that I'm forced to Karmic to have it well integrated in my Desktop. But wait, why are my Fonts looking so bad now???
    - Evolution/"CouchDB" -> Best way to make Evo even slower and more unstable.
    - Deskbar -> Crashes and freezes Panel on Login...

and so on and so on. So far, this is te worst release ever, except the one or other case, when a "release" did not even boot or could not be installed. This is really sad, since Ubuntu was working great and improving since Hardy. Trend broken, I'd say.

And the 64Bit variant is still not improving. In opposite - flash used to work for me in Jaunty.
    I find comments like this all a bit strange. We are provided with a Live CD that allows us to test before install. If you don't like what you see then stay with the version that you are on - there is absolutely no requirement to upgrade.

Yes there may well be bugs in the final release, but that has happened with every single OS that has been produced. It's only on release that some bugs are found due to the much wider usage that goes with the final release.

So if you're not happy, then stay as you are - that will be a well informed choice.
    'I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.'

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

yeah, karmic is a no release.

Compare to Jaunty, karmic have introduced a bunch of internal changes: so much that this release is not ready to be published.

Better to stay with Jaunty and directly jump to Lucid to continue testing.

Beans

However Kubuntu Karmic seems to be the best Canonical's KDE release ever. Pulseaudio works very well for me (no problem with Spotify under wine, but with Ubuntu it doesn't work out of the box) and everything runs pretty well whith desktop effects in my Asus eeepc 901.

Beans

This is why I multi-boot. I always have at least one OS that runs rock solid (right now that's Jaunty) and I can play with Karmic until they get the last few annoying little bugs worked out.

That said IMHO Karmic has been a huge undertaking! Deprecating hal, a new boot-loader, ext4 as default, etc. It's a huge list so I don't mind being patient.

As a distro hopper I'd still have to say *buntu is still second to none.

Beans
    Distro

I think Karmic is going to be very good but....

I'm going to stick with Jaunty on disk one and continue testing Karmic on disk two. Might install to disk 1 when dust settles.

My take right or wrong is that Karmic is a testing release for Lucid.

Ext4 is still in development, grub2 still beta, empathy needs a lot of love too. Boot up is a mix of usplash, black screen for ages, and xsplash. GDM is not easily configurable etc etc.

Beans
    Distro

Just like to note that just because doesn't work on YOUR hardware doesn't mean it doesn't work on everybody else's hardware.

If your having hardware problems I suggest filing a bug, or asking your hardware vendor to supply linux drivers.

I know that this is an area that is s l o w l y improving, but lets be realistic here.

If you don't like something then don't use it. For example :Nobody is making people use grub2, if you don't like it use just grub 1.

I don't like evolution, i don't come on here and say how disappointed i am and rant. Installing Thunderbird is my solution, and it is one of the first things i do with a fresh install.

As well , there are bugs in the rc, and some of them will be dealt with in the final. We will just have to see and wait to find out which ones.

good luck!!!

I would also like to add that the further away from an LTS the probability that we are seeing a very bleeding edge release becomes reality. In other words, the release before an LTS is expected to be very buggy and bleeding edge with less stability.

The chances are, lucid will be more solid then Karmic earlier in the cycle, and many many users will be pleased.

good luck again!!!

I this thread it is somewhat explained:
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=33183
    Last edited by KrazyPenguin; October 29th, 2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: addition
    Sign-up to Dropbox using the following link and get 2.25GB of storage FREE!!!
    https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM2NDgxOTc5

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast