Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting over with Ubuntu - reinstall?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Starting over with Ubuntu - reinstall?

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Joe View Post
    Are you sure the hardware is still functional? Can you install an old version of Windows to make sure?
    Joe

I'm no expert on Ubuntu but have over 20 years experience troubleshooting radios on aircraft. From a troubleshooting perspective you have a lot of unknown variables happening at the same time.

You may want to make sure the hardware is working before going any further. This can take some time but may save considerable time and frustration in the long run. It will also give you a known state from which you can add changes incrementally. In good troubleshooting, unless you are confident of the root cause of the problem, you only change one variable at a time.

Will the computer start with original OS? If not I would probably reload the original OS as a starting point. You may even want to reformat the hard drive, then reload original OS. I assume data loss is not a concern.

If you don't want to install or run the original OS, you may want to format the drive then try loading a particular Linux flavor. This will at least give you a known state as a starting point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Starting over with Ubuntu - reinstall?

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy LTS on a 10-yr-old Compaq Armada M300 laptop which had been sitting unused for about 3-4 years and was sloated for the trash, but I got curious and gave Ubuntu a try.

Initially, I had the same lag during install with the time/date config utility. I'm no expert, but I'd guess that it's b/c you're installing offline -- and Ubuntu is looking for a connection to update the system date/time, because I only ran into this when I was booting up offline. Keep your ethernet plugged in while it's going through the installation and see if that helps.

My battery was shot, so anytime I needed to move the box and plug it in at another location, I got the error again. Try resetting your time in your BIOS. In my case, Compaq had some proprietary BIOS utility that ran under Windows, which was of course gone now. If that doesn't take, check your sys battery -- it's a little round thing, along the lines of a watch battery, that keeps your system date and time current when it's shutdown. Mine was apparently dead, but I was able to find a new one on eBay for about ten bucks -- replaced it, and it's been fine ever since.
    "Have you tried using Wine?"
    "After three bottles, it still doesn't work."

LINUX!!*#@*!*%@%!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12