Thread: Slow startup

Beans

Slow startup

Upgraded to RC today. All the reviews raved about improved boot times, so did not anticipate such unpleasantness. After boot screen, it takes 16 seconds for login prompt to appear. To get a working desktop takes full 50 seconds. I created a new user to test whether some applets misbehave, but had the same results.

My laptop is Asus F3Jp with T7200 Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM and ATI X1700.

I strongly suspect that some rogue process is responsible for that. During the startup the disk gets heavily written to.

Any pointers how to find the culprit? Which log files to check, what processes to inspect?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: Slow startup

System > Preferences > Sartup Applications would be the first place I would go.
    There was another place that deals with low level stuff n Administration but I've forgotecn the name!

I hope that gives you a head start(by the way, you should try auto login)
    ---
    Geeks start early,
    The Others don't start at all!
    www.tecky-junk.blogspot.com

Beans

Re: Slow startup

Yes I have already looked there. No luck. I disabled all the startup processes which I felt comfortable that nothing will break. I will try to remove all the applets. Maybe something will come up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

By "Boot Screen" do you mean GRUB2?
    That issue is covered here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...77#post8182577

There is also comments about the "Throbber" taking system resources that could otherwise speed booting, as noted here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1284677

Remember, keep addressing these flaws and they will get addressed!
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio
    Ubuntu 14.02 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio

Beans

Since I upgraded from Jaunty, I did not use grub2. All the problems start when X starts. Boot proceses before the start of gdm and X is faster.