Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 on Compaq 610

Beans

Red face Ubuntu 9.10 on Compaq 610

Hi! This is my first post on forum Recently I bought HP Compaq 610 laptop with very cool components (15,6” screen, Intel Core2Duo, 320GB, 4GB) but seems graphic card (integrated Mobile Intel GLE965 Express Chipset) is the worst part (I know that in laptops are generally bad graphics, but...). Anyway, I try lot of Linux distros (SuSE, Fedora, Gentoo, Mint...) but Ubuntu 9.04 performed best. A couple days ago I tried Ubuntu 9.10 RC and find that (like in most distos I mention up) screen is black when try to start Live or Instal from Live. I tried with Vesa driver option in F4 menu, but result is same. CD is loading, but I can't see anything. Does anyone has idea how to start live session or install? I just need to install it on HDD I will wait 'till tomorrow for final release, but doubt that this will be fixed...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 on Compaq 610

I am experiencing exactly the same problem.
    Hopefully, the final release or an early patch will fix it.

Ubuntu 9.10 beta came up fine on my (Intel Wolfsdale 3.16GHz, Asus mother board) Desktop, though.

I ended up installing Jaunty on the laptop for now.
    Last edited by uniomni; October 29th, 2009 at 12:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The final release of Ubuntu 9.10 is still unable to load onto the HP Compaq 610.
    All I get is a black screen and the sound of the CD trying to do something.

It doesn't matter whether I select trying Ubuntu or installing Ubuntu - the black screen is all I get. This is a real shame and I am sure it is something simple that prevents Ubuntu from displaying on the laptop.

Beans

adding "nomodeset" in boot options from the live CD helped.

but I installed 9.10 with the alternative CD, which produced a blank screen after installation as well. here I added the "nomodeset" in grub boot parameter list in the line starting with "linux "

then I added that "nomodeset" in /boot/grub/grub.cfg at the respective place (as well for the recovery mode)

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

same problem here =/
    when i upgraded all i got was a black screen, so i loaded the old kernel, but there are no drivers =/ not even for touchpad, but with some luck the internet is still working
    so i downloaded the image, and booted it, and again - the black screen.
    I really hope they fix this soon, 'cause it's really frustrating =(

Beans

I'm experiencing the same problem with my Compaq 610. I don´t understand the "nomodeset". Where do I have to write it to try booting with the Live CD without installing?

Beans

I believe it is because compaq 610 is a dual CPU machine. And Ubuntu 9.10 live CD can not boot with such hardware configuration. You may try to alter the bios of compaq 610 by changing the configuration to one CPU mode, and see what happens.

It works for my compaq 610 on Kubuntu 9.10 live CD, but I've never tried it on Ubuntu 9.10.

Beans

launch the livecd
    use F6 for other options
    use ESC to get rid of the menu which just popped up
    but now you have a long line of boot parameters there at the end after "--" leave a blank and add "nomodeset"

nomodeset switches the new kernel feature off which configures the mode settings of the graphichip.

now you can boot it - just hit enter

this "nomodeset" needs to be turned on permanently after installation. so just stay in the livecd and mount your harddrive and edit /media/UID-XXXXXX/boot/grub/grub.cfg via a terminal (Application -> Accessoires -> Terminal)

$ gksudo gedit /media/UID-XXXXXX/boot/grub/grub.cfg

here you need to change the following menu entry by adding "nomodeset" - see the line starting with "linux"

menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic" {
    recordfail=1
    if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi
    set quiet=1
    insmod ext2
    set root=(hd0,1)
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 5c7c29e4-f877-4e6d-8b20-aed6eacd5ad3
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=5c7c29e4-f877-4e6d-8b20-aed6eacd5ad3 ro nomodeset quiet splash nomodeset
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    }

now reboot. we are almost there !!!

after rebooting the system, we again open the terminal and edit the grub default

$ gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

here there a two changes which added the "nomodeset":
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"

after saving the changes execute

$ sudo update-grub

so that is what I have done to get it working. there is still a strange thing that I can not see the grub menu when starting the laptop also the when there is a filesystem check the laptop stays black for very long time. so not perfect but otherwise I am very pleased with ubuntu on that laptop.

I found a bugreport where the fix goes via the configuration of the xserver by turning off KMS (kernel mode setting). https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/474421

but the good thing is that the bug was confirmed - let's see when there will be an update.
    Last edited by m.kristian; November 22nd, 2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: need to finish it

Beans

when I type $ gksudo gedit /media/UID-XXXXXX/boot/grub/grub.cfg I see an empty file. I am installing ubuntu 9.10 amd64, maybe the adress is diferent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast