Thread: Macbook External Monitor Corruption (Compiz)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Macbook External Monitor Corruption (Compiz)

Hey,

I seem to be running into an issue with both Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 where I experience horrible graphics corruption on my external monitor whenever desktop effects are enabled. The machine is a Macbook 2,1 with an integrated Intel video chip. The external monitor is a 24" that runs natively at 2048x1152. When desktop effects are disabled it works perfectly. When the external monitor resolution is set to 1024x768 and desktop effects enabled it works perfectly.

I know the maximum OpenGL texture size for this graphics card is 2048x2048 so I've disabled the internal LCD screen via both gnome-display-properties and directly via xrandr and in xorg.conf. After setting MonitorLayout to CRT,NONE and monitor-LVDS1 to Ignore in Xorg the internal LCD no longer shows up in xrandr or the gnome-display-properties. Only the external monitor shows and the resolution is 2048x1152, smaller than the maximum of 2048x2048.

Here a screenshot of the corruption, created by Applications -> Accessories -> Take screenshot and having it wait 5 seconds, enabling desktop effects, then waiting for them to be disabled again after 15 seconds:

http://programmer-art.org/dropbox/CompizCorruption.png

Code:
    $ glxinfo -l | grep GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE
        GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE = 2048
    Code:
    $ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2048 x 1152, maximum 4096 x 4096
    VGA1 connected 2048x1152+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 510mm x 287mm
       2048x1152      59.9*+
       1024x768       60.0  
       800x600        60.3     56.2  
       640x480        60.0  
    DVI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    TV1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    Any idea as to what might be the issue here? I'm really missing my desktop wall, easy switching between virtual desktops, being able to use a dock and the scale/show desktop plugins set to screen edges...

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Daniel G. Taylor; October 28th, 2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Small clarification
    We rarely notice freedom. What we notice is the lack of freedom, and I'm afraid by then it is too late.
    Be a good Ubuntu citizen - Report bugs || http://programmer-art.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Macbook External Monitor Corruption (Compiz)

Is there anybody running desktop effects on a large external monitor that could post some information about their configuration here?
    We rarely notice freedom. What we notice is the lack of freedom, and I'm afraid by then it is too late.
    Be a good Ubuntu citizen - Report bugs || http://programmer-art.org