Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: rbpitch: Rhythmbox Pitch/Tempo Shifting

Beans

Re: rbpitch: Rhythmbox Pitch/Tempo Shifting

thankyou allquixotic for your work, we all impatiently wait for your release... yes on ubuntu as well ))

giopas

Beans

All,

rbpitch 2.90 (Release 1) has been released for Ubuntu 11.10!

https://launchpad.net/~smcnam/+archive/rbpitch-release

Uploaded and seems to be working. It's ready for testing! If you don't know how to install from a PPA, you might start by reading the help instructions on the PPA page itself (linked above). If you're still confused, post back here.

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

Thanks.

P.S. -- Those of you who are running a recent version of Fedora or OpenSUSE can compile the package from source. It's been tested and works on both Fedora 16 and OpenSUSE 12.1. Building rpms for Fedora and OpenSUSE would be a completely separate effort, since the packaging systems are so different. If you are interested in me doing that, please let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would like to thank you very much for this great addition to Rhythmbox. I would also like to ask if you have suggested setting values to speed up audio. Newbies without audio experience can find tweaking the settings a little tricky.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wdtd View Post
    I would like to thank you very much for this great addition to Rhythmbox. I would also like to ask if you have suggested setting values to speed up audio. Newbies without audio experience can find tweaking the settings a little tricky.
    Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "suggested" values. It depends entirely on what you're trying to do.

What exactly is tricky about it? Is it that you don't understand what impact the different settings have on the audio? Experiment with the settings while playing music and see what effect it has.

For reference, setting a speed of +36% is like playing a 45 rpm vinyl record on a 33 rpm turntable. In case even that doesn't make sense to you: a 33 rpm turntable will rotate the vinyl record 45 times per minute. A record designed to play on a turntable that rotates the vinyl 45 times per minute in order to play at "normal" speed is going to rotate faster than it should on a 33 rpm turntable. It's going to rotate about 36% faster.

Tempo is like the effect of doing this without changing the pitch of the audio, so it plays "faster" but it doesn't sound like Alvin and the chipmunks.

Pitch is like the turntable effect also, but without affecting how long the track is -- so a 2 minute long song will still play for 2 minutes if you change the pitch only, but it will play at a higher pitch.

Speed is the "pure" turntable effect, which means that BOTH pitch AND tempo are affected together, in the same ratio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Will the 11.10 rbpitch work with 12.04? Or are the changes too significant? I know I ask this every release lol but figured I would ask.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kailynleto View Post
    Will the 11.10 rbpitch work with 12.04? Or are the changes too significant? I know I ask this every release lol but figured I would ask.
    Hi, kailynleto.

Due to constant changes in Rhythmbox upstream, unfortunately it breaks rbpitch in a significant way with every release. Hopefully it'll settle down after Rhythmbox 3.0 is released, but right now we are using a beta version of Rhythmbox 3.0 (versioned 2.9x) in recent versions of Ubuntu (11.04, 11.10, 12.04). These beta versions are constantly changing, as is the Vala compiler that I use to produce the code.

I have been working lately on bringing up rbpitch for Ubuntu 12.04, and I don't think it'll be too much longer. But there have been multiple issues with the new Rhythmbox, and even a bug that I had to file and get fixed, before I can provide packages. Right now, rbpitch will not even compile on 12.04's version of Rhythmbox.

I'm thinking within the next week I should be able to do something with this, but mostly it's about motivation and spare time since this is a volunteer effort for me. I'll post back here when packages have been released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I get as far as rbpitch installing in 12.04 but when I attempt to activate I get :

Pitch and Tempo Shifting can not be used with your configuration.
    Please use the GStreamer-0.10 backend.
    Unload the Pitch and Tempo Shifting plugin to stop this message from appearing.

Is this the currently expeced state?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3nt View Post
    I get as far as rbpitch installing in 12.04 but when I attempt to activate I get :

Pitch and Tempo Shifting can not be used with your configuration.
    Please use the GStreamer-0.10 backend.
    Unload the Pitch and Tempo Shifting plugin to stop this message from appearing.

Is this the currently expeced state?
    Hi 3nt,

Actually no. I committed changes to bazaar that should make it work with Ubuntu 12.04. I've never seen that error message actually occur on my end in testing. Can you run rhythmbox from the command line and paste (as an attachment or to a pastebin service) the command line log files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is the log prior to activating rbpitch (which does suggest I may have an other problem)

rhythmbox

** (rhythmbox:26101): WARNING **: Error calling get_info: Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/service.py", line 707, in _message_cb
    retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client/ubuntuone/platform/linux/dbus_interface.py", line 723, in get_info
    return self.service.folders.get_info(path)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client/ubuntuone/syncdaemon/interaction_interfaces.py", line 166, in inner
    result = f(*new_args, **new_kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client/ubuntuone/logger.py", line 283, in inner
    res = f(*args, **kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client/ubuntuone/syncdaemon/interaction_interfaces.py", line 717, in get_info
    mdobj = self.fs_manager.get_by_path(path)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client/ubuntuone/syncdaemon/filesystem_manager.py", line 794, in get_by_path
    mdid = self._idx_path[path]
    KeyError: '/home/brian/.ubuntuone/Purchased from Ubuntu One'

** (rhythmbox:26101): CRITICAL **: syncdaemon_folder_info_get_subscribed: assertion `SYNCDAEMON_IS_FOLDER_INFO (finfo)' failed

And I get no further errors after I activate. I am busy over the rest of the weekend but if I get a chance I will remove and re-install rhythmbox to see if the errors persist.

I installed rbpitch by adding the launchpad directory to sources.list (oneric as I couldn't find a precise version) and then apt-get install.
    I did previously try installing from the deb on the sweb page using UbuntuOne but this did not show up in the plugins so I purged and in stalled as above.

Brian

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3nt View Post
    This is the log prior to activating rbpitch (which does suggest I may have an other problem)

rhythmbox

** (rhythmbox:26101): WARNING **: Error calling get_info: Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/service.py", line 707, in _message_cb
    retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client/ubuntuone/platform/linux/dbus_interface.py", line 723, in get_info
    return self.service.folders.get_info(path)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client/ubuntuone/syncdaemon/interaction_interfaces.py", line 166, in inner
    result = f(*new_args, **new_kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client/ubuntuone/logger.py", line 283, in inner
    res = f(*args, **kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client/ubuntuone/syncdaemon/interaction_interfaces.py", line 717, in get_info
    mdobj = self.fs_manager.get_by_path(path)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntuone-client/ubuntuone/syncdaemon/filesystem_manager.py", line 794, in get_by_path
    mdid = self._idx_path[path]
    KeyError: '/home/brian/.ubuntuone/Purchased from Ubuntu One'

** (rhythmbox:26101): CRITICAL **: syncdaemon_folder_info_get_subscribed: assertion `SYNCDAEMON_IS_FOLDER_INFO (finfo)' failed

And I get no further errors after I activate. I am busy over the rest of the weekend but if I get a chance I will remove and re-install rhythmbox to see if the errors persist.

I installed rbpitch by adding the launchpad directory to sources.list (oneric as I couldn't find a precise version) and then apt-get install.
    I did previously try installing from the deb on the sweb page using UbuntuOne but this did not show up in the plugins so I purged and in stalled as above.

Brian
    Oh. No wonder you're having problems! The packages for older versions of Ubuntu will never work on future versions of Ubuntu, because Rhythmbox keeps changing its API/ABI. So don't do that.

You'll have to build it from source until I can get some packages out for Precise. I don't know when that'll be. But the latest source *should* work well on Precise if you compile it. There are posts throughout this thread with information on how to build it; the most recent instructions would tend to be the most correct.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast