Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: rbpitch: Rhythmbox Pitch/Tempo Shifting

Beans

Re: rbpitch: Rhythmbox Pitch/Tempo Shifting

Right now I really don't want to deal with getting this plugin in default Ubuntu unless the Rhythmbox developers first integrate it upstream into their own source tree. Otherwise I would have to effectively patch the rhythmbox package in Ubuntu, which is a lot more work. A PPA should be easier, and providing end-user instructions is yet easier for me

If I ever get this upstream to the Rhythmbox maintainers, all of this distribution headache will disappear automatically. If you want to help get rbpitch into upstream Rhythmbox, you can help! Contact Jonathan Matthew, current maintainer of Rhythmbox, and ask him to work with the author of rbpitch (he'll know who that is, me) to get it into upstream Rhythmbox. His contact info is at http://live.gnome.org/JonathanMatthew

I may soon put this up on a PPA, but I've never done it before, so it will likely take me a lot of time and lost hair. Just reading the packaging guide is making my head spin, and I've used Linux (with heavy CLI usage) for 9 years.

For the more adventurous type, I'll post a concise guide of the build steps, but I can't give click-by-click / keystroke-by-keystroke instructions. This guide assumes familiarity with compiling software from source using the CLI.

You can either do all of the following using a root shell (e.g. sudo bash), or add sudo to each of the commands that require root privileges (apt*, make install, etc.)

Code:
    apt-get build-dep rhythmbox
    aptitude install build-essential valac libvala-dev vala-utils gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad git-core autoconf automake
    apt-get source rhythmbox
    cd rhythmbox-*
    git clone git://tiyukquellmalz.org/rbpitch.git plugins/rbpitch
    cd plugins
    patch -p0 < rbpitch/patches/ubuntu/9.10/Makefile.am.patch
    cd ..
    patch -p0 < plugins/rbpitch/patches/ubuntu/9.10/configure.ac.patch
    ./autogen.sh
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vala
    make -j2
    make install
    You can be reasonably certain that the install succeeded if the contents of the /usr/lib/rhythmbox/plugins/rbpitch/ directory are as follows:
    Code:
    librbpitch.a  librbpitch.la  librbpitch.so  rbpitch.rb-plugin rbpitch-layout.xml
    If you have problems once those files exist, it's probably a coding error on my part.

I have yet to document how to use the GUI, but very briefly, you will see "Pitch and Tempo Shifting" in Edit -> Plugins. Make sure it's checked. Then another button will appear next to the shell player (play/pause/next/prev buttons). Click that and the main window appears. You can either close the rbpitch window or toggle the button to make the rbpitch UI go away, but its changes will remain in effect.

P.S. -- If you have a pre-existing rbpitch source tree that you want to reuse, make sure to run `git pull' -- I have made several updates and fixes very recently.

Let me know if you have any further problems with the instructions I posted here. If you check the README.txt in the distribution, I also posted instructions for doing this with vanilla Rhythmbox -- but Ubuntu ships some patches to Rhythmbox, so I thought it was worthwhile to use the Ubuntu sources.

Finally, I will only support rbpitch on Ubuntu 9.10 or later. I'll happily also support it on prereleases of 10.04, but don't ask me about 9.04 or earlier please.
    Last edited by allquixotic; November 5th, 2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: fix fix fix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mike.thorton View Post
    I don't understand wilee-nilee's replys at all,
    I had the wrong set up on the forums so I was unable to make correct paragraphs.

If there was something in there that you didn't understand but want to feel free to post again or PM me. I have studied music for years and advanced music theory so some of the things I mentioned although are very basic music theory they are things everybody should know like relative minor.

I wont deny it could of been gibberish on my part I haven't looked through my posts at this time.

Good job to the OP in getting a usable program many can use pushed forward.

Beans

Can anyone test this and let me know if it works? Over here, on a clean 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10 Final system (before applying updates or anything), I was able to get this working by following these "Steps For Dummies":

1. Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
    2. Type sudo bash. When prompted to enter your password, do so and press Enter.
    3. Copy and paste or type in each of these lines exactly in the Terminal:
    Code:
    apt-get build-dep rhythmbox
    aptitude install build-essential valac libvala-dev vala-utils gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad git-core autoconf automake
    apt-get source rhythmbox
    cd rhythmbox-*
    git clone git://tiyukquellmalz.org/rbpitch.git plugins/rbpitch
    cd plugins
    patch -p0 < rbpitch/patches/ubuntu/9.10/Makefile.am.patch
    cd ..
    patch -p0 < plugins/rbpitch/patches/ubuntu/9.10/configure.ac.patch
    ./autogen.sh
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vala
    make -j2
    make install
    4. Applications -> Sound & Video -> Rhythmbox Music Player
    5. In Rhythmbox, go to Edit -> Plugins and check the box in the Enabled column next to the "Pitch and Tempo Shifting" entry.
    6. Click the Close button in the popup window.
    7. Click the "Pitch and Tempo Control" button next to the "Start or stop visualization" button. The default icon for my button is a stock GTK icon, which is a blue i on Ubuntu 9.10.
    8. The "Rhythmbox Pitch Control" window should pop up.
    9. Drag the sliders, click the SpinButton arrows, or type in the SpinButton. Note that if you type in the SpinButton, your changes will not take effect until you focus on some other component, which means you need to close out the window, press TAB, or click somewhere else in the window. I am working on smoothing this out.
    10. You should now hear music at a different pitch or tempo than normal.

That's about as user friendly as I can make it for now. Let me know if you run into any more problems.

By the way, I am aware of a bug with the way the playback progress bar displays the time elapsed. You might also get unexpected effects if you try to seek when the pitch or speed is/are shifted. This is in the works now: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhyth.../msg00033.html

Beans

Hi allquixotic,

I am still very keen to get this working, and your step-by-step instructions look achievable even for me.

Unfortunately I'm away from my ubuntu laptop for another week or so, but I'll try it asap.

Just wanted to assure you that there is still interest

Beans

It works!

Followed your guide above and every step went fine.

It works really well - with pacemaker the sound used to get really distorted when the pitch or speed changed too much, but this is really clear. Also the changes are instant and work during playback - I had no trouble with skipping through songs.

A couple of things that I'm sure you are already thinking of:
    * a "remember settings for this song" would be great
    * The sliders could be a little easier to understand - like if it went up in semi-tones.

But I am really happy - you have solved a problem that has been bugging me for years

Beans

I am glad this worked for you. Some comments on your feature requests:

* a "remember settings for this song" would be great
    This would be pretty difficult to implement, relatively speaking. I can see how it would be done, but it may add dependencies (some RDBMS like sqlite for keeping track of (song,settings) pairs) and there are some unresolved issues. I would need to link against RhythmDB (which would involve creating new Vala bindings for RhythmDB) to uniquely identify playing tracks so I know how to store this info. Or I could directly modify the existing RhythmDB code, but that would eliminate the "plugin" idea of rbpitch. Much to think about here.

* The sliders could be a little easier to understand - like if it went up in semi-tones.
    I got formulas for percentage to semitones conversion for the pitch slider from Olli Parviainen, author of Pacemaker. Now I just need to set up those formulae in the code and this will be done. I expect this little enhancement to hit git master some time in November 09, so within the next week or two.

Along with that, I'm thinking of reducing the slider range from 10% to 900% (which is the full range of the underlying library) to 10% to 400% instead. Or maybe 200% (i.e. double speed). What do you think of this? Do you have any use for settings above 200%? Should I leave the whole entire range in?

The complaint from the Rhythmbox developers was that, the larger I make the range, the less granularity the slider has. For a small range, it's very natural to drag the slider and see a noticeable but small change in the value. For huge ranges mapped onto small sliders, you don't get the control you want. Now given, that's what the text field (SpinButton) is for, when you want an exact value; but the sliders should nevertheless be somewhat useful.

So we'll have to reach a compromise between slider width -- too wide and netbooks won't be able to use it -- and slider range -- too large and granularity is too large to give any sort of meaningful control; too small and people won't be able to select values they actually want.

I could also enable horizontal resizing and start with a sane (but conservative) default width. Then people can just drag the UI wider on large screens so they can get some excellent granularity on the sliders.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    What do you think of this? Do you have any use for settings above 200%? Should I leave the whole entire range in?
    I use it for guitar playing, and I can't imagine a time when I would need anything beyond 50% to 150% (for both tempo and pitch). But of course it's better to have too much range than not enough!

Beans

Code:
    aking all in sample-vala
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5/plugins/sample-vala'
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5/plugins/sample-vala'
    Making all in rbpitch
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5/plugins/rbpitch'
    make[3]: *** No rule to make target `rbpitch-layout.xml', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
    make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5/plugins/rbpitch'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5/plugins'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    I have this error

I am trying to make a ubuntu package

however it works when I do a make like you describe
    Last edited by mirak63; January 5th, 2010 at 12:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I installed according to the above instructions on 64 bit and it is working well. My vote for the sliders would be to go 10% to 200% to make them more useful (at least for me they would be).

I am using this guitar also and it would be nice if there was a way to loop certain parts of a song but I don't know if that would be possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mirak63 View Post
    Code:
    aking all in sample-vala
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5/plugins/sample-vala'
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5/plugins/sample-vala'
    Making all in rbpitch
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5/plugins/rbpitch'
    make[3]: *** No rule to make target `rbpitch-layout.xml', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
    make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5/plugins/rbpitch'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5/plugins'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/karim/Dev/plugrmbox/rhythmbox-0.12.5'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    I have this error

I am trying to make a ubuntu package

however it works when I do a make like you describe
    Looks like you ran `make clean' -- oops. That was an error on my part. Fixed in git. See http://tiyukquellmalz.org/cgit/rbpit...ce05b67c1d6e8f

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast