Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel Ubuntu Karmic comming up!

Beans

Re: How do you feel Ubuntu Karmic comming up!

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Ubuntu karmic coming up in a few hours! How do you feel about it and will you upgrade right away?

Applies to all varriants
    Well, I was planning to put Linux on a spare desktop machine of mine, and since 9.10 hit RC a couple of days ago, I grabbed a copy to give it a try. Unfortunately, try as I might, I can't get the damned video drivers (the updated intel ones) to work, so it's a no-go for me. Other than that, it's a mixed bad. PulseAudio works like a charm for me this time around, and I appreciate the fine-tuned control it offers, so that's a plus. Canonical seems to have cut down on the number of bundled apps (including some I didn't see the point of including); less menu clutter's never bad.

On the other hand, the default look, theme and layout could all really use some tweaking, as is, they all look a bit amateurish. It boots at about the same speed at Windows 7 (medium speed, I suppose), suspend doesn't really work on my machine (after a fair amount of fiddling with it). All in all, I don't see any great improvements, and a lot of the niggling little problems that I've had are still around... just not for me, I think.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    will grub 2 recognize windows 7?
    Yes it will. There really isn't any problems with Grub 2 it's just different. All in all with the extra polish and more stable system offered, Ubuntu 9.10 is a first rate distro.
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans

... so ... when exactly is it being released... one day to go is so vague... ??

Beans

Not me, the changes are such that it makes little sense for me to be excited about 9.10.

One of the big selling points is faster boot times, since I don't generally reboot my computer too often, that doesn't really get me excited. Nor does the new logon splash screen

9.10 is stable and working well for me, its hard to justify doing it, just for the sake of doing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

for me, Karmic is going to be out in 12 hours but I'm not in a rush to download it or install it as after playing around with the RC version of it over last weekend, there's a bug in the new kernel what kills the modem stone dead, & still got 12 months till the EOL for updates in Jaunty as I'm happy using Jaunty (as jaunty is so stable for me & got it set up how I want it) & after seeing Gnome 3 desktop (I'll be looking for a new Linux distro as I hate the look of it), prefer gnome 2 over how gnome 3 is going & KDE to me looks to much like windows vista windows 7, so it looks like I'll me moving over to Xubuntu then
    Desktop : Self built I7 quad core 3.2 based system

Laptop : MSI wind U100

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarrem View Post
    A few hours? Really? Heh, I thought it was longer then that. I'm being completely serious here, I thought it was being released tonight... but I'm in EST time, could someone tell me when it will actually be released?
    This issue came up during the release of Jaunty. I'm also in the eastern time zone.. I waited up to midnight (believing that the world revolves around my timezone) expecting the magic to be released. But it didn't happen.

So then I waiting for central time... mountain time... and so on... I got tired at like 4 or 5am EST and went to sleep and downloaded in the morning. Maybe they used Hawaii time? or whatever is next to the date line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

can't wait....
    Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz | 250GB HDD 7200 RPM | NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M 512 MB
    Use a Dell E-Latitude? | I lost The Game

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wont upgrade as upgrading won't allow you to use new HDD format EXT4 whereas 9.04 and earlier were EXT3 so I recommend a Fresh Install of 9.10 as it defaults to EXT4 which has speed increases and is overall worth the fresh install! I will be fresh installing in the next day or two.
    Long Time Linux User 9+ Years - 6+ Years on Ubuntu
    Ubuntu 12.04 64-Bit...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by misfitpierce View Post
    Wont upgrade as upgrading won't allow you to use new HDD format EXT4 whereas 9.04 and earlier were EXT3 so I recommend a Fresh Install of 9.10 as it defaults to EXT4 which has speed increases and is overall worth the fresh install! I will be fresh installing in the next day or two.
    Agree, as stated in other thread....

Anyway, you can all go to this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...74#post8182274

And leave comments there as well....
    Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz | 250GB HDD 7200 RPM | NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M 512 MB
    Use a Dell E-Latitude? | I lost The Game

Beans

Keeping my eyes on the clock. Gonna wait it out a few days to let the unexpected bugs get flattened out, then I'm gonna do an upgrade.

Hope to see improvements on boot time and take a look at the new theme, but I'm so happy with my Nimbus Gtk with Mac fonts so that's comming back fast. Also looking forward to updated version of Firefox, Quod Libet (?) and Transmission. Another piece of software I use is Gnome Do so I hope the version included is solid.

Good luck you guys!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast