Thread: Is it possible that I have 3 incompatible USB flash drives?

Beans

Is it possible that I have 3 incompatible USB flash drives?

Hi All,

I've been trying to Install Ubuntu Netbook Remix on a computer of mine. I've used the ubuntu image burner as well as the OS X command line. Neither seems to produce any errors. In fact, I've tried with THREE flash drives I had lying around! After completion, I put the USB stick in my computer, make sure that it is set to boot from USB, and hope for the best. Instead of a linux boot, I get an error about a non-system disk being inserted. This has happened with three different USB flash drives I have lying around, and i've tried them in TWO computers! This is sorta driving me crazy... is it possible that i have 3 incompatible USB flash disks? I can't think of anything else that could be the culprit.... Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is it possible that I have 3 incompatible USB flash drives?

First, are you following the instructions in the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR installation? You must use the IMG file, not just copy the ISO. You may try installing from a working Ubuntu 9 installation using the USB install, but I haven't had any luck getting that to work. Only the installation instructions listed on the Wiki worked for me.

Beans

Re: Is it possible that I have 3 incompatible USB flash drives?

The wiki instructions give instructions to use the IMG file, and then they point to a download link. There are no IMG files in there, only ISO. But shouldn't it work with ISO files as well? I'd like to be able to make bootable flash drives in the future w/ other distros.