Thread: Convert dvd drive into hard drive

Beans

Convert dvd drive into hard drive

I have Toshiba satellite P25 s607. I've heard tidbits on the net that the dvd drive can be converted into a hard drive but haven't been able to find anything concrete on it. Anybody know anything? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Convert dvd drive into hard drive

At a guess I would say this means physically fitting a hard drive in the DVD bay with some sort of caddy.
    Linux Registered User #443947 Ubuntu Regestered User #12604

Hakunamatata ...... No worries !

Beans

I think that's correct. I've taken apart the dvd drive before in an attempt to fix it (my fix worked long enough to get ubuntu 7.10 installed). The seems to be of two parts. The actual drive and a separate frame that goes around it. I believe that a hard drive might somehow fit into the frame, at least that's what I've inferred from the pieces I've found on the net.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    I think that's correct. I've taken apart the dvd drive before in an attempt to fix it (my fix worked long enough to get ubuntu 7.10 installed). The seems to be of two parts. The actual drive and a separate frame that goes around it. I believe that a hard drive might somehow fit into the frame, at least that's what I've inferred from the pieces I've found on the net.
    maybe if you would point to some of the links to the "pieces you've found on the net" we can get a better idea.

Beans

This is stuff I ran into last year so I don't remember where. I'm only remembering now because I have a desperate need for more drive space and I don't delete anything. Collectively (internals and externals) I have about 275 Gigs of capacity but only maybe 70 Megs of free space. I used my last 40 Gigs yesterday and the day before on fractal videos.