Thread: How to add drivers manually

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

How to add drivers manually

Hello all,

I was wondering...is there a GUI way to add drivers manually to Ubuntu. For example, lets say that I were to purchase a webcam that was not supported right out of the box in 9.04. What would I have to do to get that webcam working if the manufacturer offered a linux driver that was available online? Just curious.

Thanks,
    jake

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How to add drivers manually

Quote Originally Posted by oceanfirehawk View Post
    Hello all,

I was wondering...is there a GUI way to add drivers manually to Ubuntu. For example, lets say that I were to purchase a webcam that was not supported right out of the box in 9.04. What would I have to do to get that webcam working if the manufacturer offered a linux driver that was available online? Just curious.

Thanks,
    jake
    Webcams are USB devices. They all work the same way but have differing features and resolutions.

I have answered five questions, just this week, about "My integrated webcam doesn't work!". These people never respond when you ask them what webcam-using software they're trying to use. You can almost hear the squeaking of rusty gears as they wonder "Webcam software? Could it be I need to do something that uses a webcam?".

Do they think Firefox or OpenOffice have some magical use for a webcam and their smiling gob will just pop up next to the Google logo???

Sorry for the rant. Anyway, when a NON-standard device manufacturer provides a "linux driver", it will include simple directions for getting it to work.

You'll usually need the linux headers and the build-essential packages. Install those. Follow the directions.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Giblet5 View Post
    Webcams are USB devices. They all work the same way but have differing features and resolutions.

I have answered five questions, just this week, about "My integrated webcam doesn't work!". These people never respond when you ask them what webcam-using software they're trying to use. You can almost hear the squeaking of rusty gears as they wonder "Webcam software? Could it be I need to do something that uses a webcam?".

Do they think Firefox or OpenOffice have some magical use for a webcam and their smiling gob will just pop up next to the Google logo???

Sorry for the rant. Anyway, when a NON-standard device manufacturer provides a "linux driver", it will include simple directions for getting it to work.

You'll usually need the linux headers and the build-essential packages. Install those. Follow the directions.
    LOL, I hear you brother. People don't even want to understand the basics about computing. They want big corporations to do even the most basic operations for them. That way, they are easily controlled.

Thanks for the info!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just to answer the actual question, manufacturers usually provide installation instructions, and if not, you should google for them. I don't think there is a universal framework to manually install drivers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Just to answer the actual question, manufacturers usually provide installation instructions, and if not, you should google for them. I don't think there is a universal framework to manually install drivers.
    Sounds good enough. It would be awesome if there eventually was a GUI for linux like "add/remove hardware" driver gui in windows. You Thanks for the help guys.