Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 days till Karmic!! 2 DAYS TILL KARMIC!!!! ^_^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 2 days till Karmic!! 2 DAYS TILL KARMIC!!!! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGuard View Post
    It still have a lot of bugs and design problems - no matter how good it could sound, I will not touch it for the first 2-3 months.
    In 2-3 months, it will be the same as it is now. That's how Ubuntu works.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by twright View Post
    It is all about balance, sure you could use commandline for everything but suggesting it as the sole way of doing everyday tasks does not exactly make Linux look easy to use.
    Yeah I agree, I think it's best to at least focus on the GUI tools because that is after all the main focus of Ubuntu as a distribution. Anyway, this is unrelated!

Not long till Karmic
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    In 2-3 months, it will be the same as it is now. That's how Ubuntu works.
    What ? Video card drivers will remain broken ( not to speak about missing icons, notify-osd design misconceptions, etc. ) ? If so, just let me know so I could start searching for a new distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    oMG ThROW A PARtY!!!
    and I don't tend to throw parties for OSs.. lol

I leave that to the Windows 7 crowd xD
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hoppipolla View Post
    and I don't tend to throw parties for OSs.. lol

I leave that to the Windows 7 crowd xD
    That was our idea first, they stole it from us and made it sad.
    Free as in freedom, not as in beard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My excitement deflated like a balloon when I booted a live cd of Kubuntu Karmic and saw this....file:///home/stuart/Desktop/jpeg_reencoded_205533.jpg
    ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''--John Wayne

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What ? Video card drivers will remain broken ( not to speak about missing icons, notify-osd design misconceptions, etc. ) ? If so, just let me know so I could start searching for a new distro.
    After release a lot of bugs that made it through to final release will be focused on and (hopefully) repaired. That's why it's important for people to send in bug reports if they're able to.

One person sends in an early bug report related to hardware incompatibility and it gets fixed for everyone by the time the final is released, I like to think so anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My excitement deflated like a balloon when I booted a live cd of Kubuntu Karmic and saw this....
    ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''--John Wayne

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLinx View Post
    Limited HDD space. I only have a 120GB internal hard drive and 120GB external. With all the multimedia files I have, it's a lot of space used up.
    I have only a 160 Gb internal SATA drive and a 80 Gb internal IDE drive, which gives me the same mount of space you have.

This is how my space is currently distributed..

160 Gb disk:

sdb1 2.5 Gb - linux swap
    sdb2 12 Gb - main linux OS, currently Karmic kde-minimal and kde-plasma-addons, with only 3.7 Gb used.
    sdb3 9 Gb - this is my home partition, which is not big because I save most personal files in the last partition and link folders with symlinks in my home. I'm currently using only 750 Mb of it.
    sdb4 125 Gb - this were I save all personal files including videos that I want to keep. I'm currently using 77 Gb of it.

80 GB disk:

sda1 40 Gb - this is where I store videos that haven't been watched yet, virtual machines and software packages (debs, ubuntu releases and other stuff). Currently using 50% of it.
    sda2 25 Gb - Windows 7. I hate it, but I need it to test applications under development. I'm currently using 16 GB of it.
    sda3 8 Gb - testing partition, where I install Ubuntu betas and such, with only 1.63 Gb used, running kde-minimal and kde-plasma-addons over a command-line only installation from Ubuntu alternate CD.

As you can see, I have enough room on all system partitions. I'm currently being conservative, but I could shrink root and home to increase the data partition if needed. Besides, the last 3 partitions can be easily rearranged to accommodate different scenarios, since one partition is just for data and the other two are disposable systems.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; October 27th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.

Beans

Drivers and Kernel are pretty much stable (as in speed of development) in Ubuntu once the distribution has been released.

So if it doesn't work for you, unless the GPU manufacturer releases an update upstream which will fix the issue upstream (will require manual installation), then there is not much you can do on the Kernel side.

Try Karmic now, there won't be much more changes made, ATi and Intel work alot better as they have switched the driver (for those that had issues in Jaunty).

If it still doesn't work, I guess only you decide what to do from here.

Regards
    Iain

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast