Thread: How-to: Install ZTE MF626 HSDPA modem in Karmic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Lightbulb How-to: Install ZTE MF626 HSDPA modem in Karmic

This guide explains a very easy way to reconfigure your ZTE MF626 HSDPA modem to be plug and play in Ubuntu in just 6 simple steps.

I am writing this guide because most of the information available concerning this hardware is outdated. As Ubuntu has evolved (particularly with the inclusion of NetworkManager) previous methods posted in this forum featuring lengthy tedious terminal coding are no longer necessary.

You will need a computer with hyperterminal (included with windows XP) to send AT commands to the modem. I'm sure there is a way to do this from Ubuntu - someone with more expertise can correct me here. For now just borrow your friend's XP netbook while he is looking the other way. Please note that Vista no longer includes hyperterminal - see here for information on alternatives.

1. Connect your ZTE MF626 to the USB port of your computer with hyperterminal on it. The modem will automatically install the appropriate drivers and launch the User Interface (UI).

2. Determine the COM port of the modem by inspecting the modem properties under Modems in the Device Manager (do not get confused with ZTE Dianostics Interface or others).

3. Close the UI and open hyperterminal (or equivalent) and connect to the appropriate COM port using these parameters:

Speed: 115200
    Data bits: 8
    Parity: None
    Stop bits: 1
    Flow Control: None

4. Input the following command (you may wish to turn on local echo so you can see what you are typing):

AT+ZCDRUN=8

You should receive the following back in confirmation:

Close autorun state result(0:FAIL 1:SUCCESS):1

5. Close the hyperterminal connection and unplug the modem. Your modem is now reconfigured to be plug and play in Ubuntu.

6. Connect you modem to your Ubuntu computer. In the NetworkManager Applet you should find the option to create a new mobile broadband connection. Do so with the location and APN appropriate to you ISP.

You should now be able to connect successfully to the internet and your modem should function as a plug and play device in Ubuntu. This works by disabling the self installation and autorun features which would otherwise cause Ubuntu to detect the modem as a CD-ROM. If you wish to revert the modem to it's orginal settings to allow atomatic UI installation on windows PCs the command to do so is: AT+ZCDRUN=9 (administered by hyperterminal as above)

This might work in Jaunty also. If anyone tries it please let us know.

Sources that aided me in figuring this out:
    http://www.zte.com.au/downloads/USB_Modem_Config_Procedure.pdf/
    http://www.matt-barrett.com/2008/11/telstra-pre-paid-wireless-broadband-ubuntu/

I hope this was helpful. Feedback welcome.

Beans

Re: How-to: Install ZTE MF626 HSDPA modem in Karmic

thanks very much for this Abdullahnz: which phone company in NZ uses the ZTE MF626 HSDPA modem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi, thanks, it's easier......but there's a way to do all this in ubuntu......using gtkterm...a program in the repositories..but still have to use usbmodeswitch to switch to the modem mode and go to the directory /dev and see the "port" created its something like ttyUSBX (X is a number)...
    then open gtkterm it creates the file .gtktermrc...close gtkterm...go edit .gtktermrc file using for example:
    gedit .gtktermrc
    it must look like this (a number instead of the X):
    [default]
    port = /dev/ttyUSBX
    speed = 115200
    bits = 8
    stopbits = 1
    parity = none
    flow = none
    wait_delay = 0
    wait_char = -1
    echo = False
    crlfauto = False
    font = "Nimbus Mono L, 14"
    term_transparency = False
    term_show_cursor = True
    term_rows = 80
    term_columns = 25
    term_visual_bell = True
    term_foreground_red = 43253
    term_foreground_blue = 43253
    term_foreground_green = 43253
    term_background_red = 0
    term_background_blue = 0
    term_background_green = 0
    term_background_saturation = 0,500000
    now open gtkterm and write the command as Abdullahnz said and enter...
    I'm using Jaunty...
    good luck

(Sorry, I don't like depending on another OS)
    Last edited by Unkuiri; October 27th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    which phone company in NZ uses the ZTE MF626 HSDPA modem?
    Actually I live in Indonesia presently. I bought the modem to use here.

Quote Originally Posted by Unkuiri View Post
    (Sorry, I don't like depending on another OS)
    Yes, some of us are still shaking off those last few ties of dependence, heh.

I'll give those instructions a go. Thanks.