Thread: messed up my codecs by installing something

Beans

messed up my codecs by installing something

Totem "movie player" has worked fine for me when playing avi files... that is until I tried to install a new codec that would let me play mp4 files. now both mp4 and avi files don't work (well I haven't gotten any video type files to work since the incident - only mp3's). when I try to play them it says

"Video codec 'XviD' is not handled. You might need to install additional plugins to be able to play some types of movies"

how do I fix this? the mp4 files give me the same:

"Video codec 'Advanced Video Coding (H264)' is not handled. You might need to install additional plugins to be able to play some types of movies"

, as it did before messing around with synaptic. I can't remember what I installed exactly.

btw all video extensions work fine with vlc player, but I like totem better.

additionally, is there a way to group the video output, controls, and playlist in the VLC Player? I don't like that setup where they each have there own window.

THanks

EDIT!!!

[Solved] just went to lint mint install -> featured applications -> audio video -> install totem player (extra plugins)

I don't know why it didn't work through synaptic (or why it stopped working exactly), but whatever... it works!
    Last edited by coober85; November 11th, 2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: messed up my codecs by installing something

Have you checked out the Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto?

Perhaps you could file a bugzilla report on VLC requesting that feature.

Beans

Re: messed up my codecs by installing something

Quote Originally Posted by fancypiper View Post
    Have you checked out the Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto?

Perhaps you could file a bugzilla report on VLC requesting that feature.
    yeah I tried doing that, I tried installing every codec I could find on Synaptic package manager, but nothing worked...

Linux mint software manager (Linux Mint's version of Ubuntu's add/remove prog) usually doesn't install things properly (like for instance google earth) and I usually have to use synaptic to get proper installs but this time it's the other way around!

see the edited first post for more info