Thread: Reason for closing thread?

edin9 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Reason for closing thread?

Why did you close this thread with the less than helpful comment of;
    I am closing this for obvious reasons

Beans

Re: Reason for closing thread?

The Community Cafe has in its banner the following " Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments."

In the Code of Conduct we ask the following ...

"Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention." .......

"

1. Forum Threads and Flaming:
      • Flaming and condescending messages: Flames are messages that personally attack, call people names, or otherwise harass another forum member (or any person or group). These, along with any generally condescending posts will be moved or removed at the moderators discretion.
      • If the thread is flame-bait (appears to be intended to start an argument or is likely to cause an argument rather than enhance discussion), it will be locked or removed without notice. Individual flame-bait may be deleted or edited at the moderators' discretion. Any users who continue to post in this manner or engage in other questionable practices, like trolling (posting in an attempt to engage people in arguments) may be subject to more serious sanctions.
      • If the thread turns into an argument, it can be locked or removed without notice. Sometimes a moderator may split the thread or delete certain portions in order to keep the discussion going, but that is not always possible."

For these reasons your thread was closed.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro

Ok thank you.

On a slightly different note I would like to make a suggestion. If you have to close, move, or delete a thread, would you please send a PM to the user explaining clearly why you did what you did. This forum is pretty unique in the fact that I have to raise an issue to get any kind of answer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

In general, no we do not do that. We ask the staff to state why the thread is closed, in the thread itself, at the time of closure.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

But therein lies the problem. Every thread I have seen closed isn't clearly explained. When you move or delete threads you don't inform the creator of said threads why you did what you did. To state a point again, this is the only forum where I have to essentially beg to get an answer for a moderators actions. This is either extreme sloppiness or barefaced arrogance, and to be frank I have no patience for either.

Goodbye.

Beans

This is a very busy site. We simply do not have the time or the resources for constant hand holding. Sad as it may be , it's a a fact of life.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by edin9 View Post
    But therein lies the problem. Every thread I have seen closed isn't clearly explained. When you move or delete threads you don't inform the creator of said threads why you did what you did. To state a point again, this is the only forum where I have to essentially beg to get an answer for a moderators actions. This is either extreme sloppiness or barefaced arrogance, and to be frank I have no patience for either.

Goodbye.
    I am sorry you feel that way, but please keep in mind we are all volunteers here and this is an extremely large and busy forums.

The resolution center is where you may directly interact with the administrators and ask questions about your threads, your account, or questions you may have.

As I said before, we strongly encourage the staff to post the reasoning for closing/moving/editing threads/posts in the threads/post themselves. In general I believe the staff do an excellent job in doing so. While you may have the free time to review each and every closed thread, I think the failure to communicate reasoning for staff actions within threads is the exception and not the rule.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface