Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ext3 or ext4 filesystem (for Karmic)?

Beans

Re: ext3 or ext4 filesystem (for Karmic)?

used ext4 with no probs in jaunty so see no reason to go back to ext3

Beans
    Hidden!

i noticed a speed boost
    and been using it since alpha 6 karmic with no trouble.

Beans

I've been using ext4 for both my home partition and the system partition with Jaunty for about 3 months now, no problems whatsoever.

The main difference I notice with ext4 is that fsck is a LOT faster than it was with ext3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Same with me. I have Jaunty and have been using ext4 for home and root for about 3 months without problem.

I have also been using grub 2. By and large I am happy. There is one of my partitions where it can find two out of four kernel versions, not sure why (it does not see the two most recent versions). But as I can get to that partition via BIOS (with F12) it does not really affect me.
    Animadvertet parabolam et interpretationem, verba sapientum et aenigmata eorum.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ext3 Pros: supported by Windows 3rd party drivers for read/write access. More stable for the tinfoil hat crowd or those that believe old postings on the internets
    Ext3 Cons: slower than the new Ext4 format, limits in several areas.
    Have you actually checked the list of advantages in ext4? If you do, all of the advantages are purely academic for the majority of home users. If you are running a server or storage farm, then ext4 has some major advantages, but for most intents and purposes, ext3 is more than capable for home use.

If you are building a system with an eye toward the future, ext3 or ext4 are fine, especially since many people are waiting for btrfs anyhow and will switch to that as soon as its available. Ext4 is merely a stopgap measure until btrfs becomes stable.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ezsit View Post

ext3 is more than capable for home use.
    Right. For example, its extremely slow periodic fsck on boot gives you way more time to sit and stare at the little line of blinky dots on the black screen, wondering when it will ever end, whereas ext4 just flies through fsck so fast that you won't even have time to go get a cup of coffee ...

Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

its extremely slow periodic fsck on boot
    Wow, I never noticed. I reboot my desktop about once a week, so I get that slow (about 20 seconds for my drive) fsck once every 30 weeks or so. I can't say that 20 seconds every 30 weeks has made much of a difference in my life. I think I've wasted more time peeing.
    Last edited by ezsit; October 28th, 2009 at 11:47 PM.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have you actually checked the list of advantages in ext4? If you do, all of the advantages are purely academic for the majority of home users. If you are running a server or storage farm, then ext4 has some major advantages, but for most intents and purposes, ext3 is more than capable for home use.

If you are building a system with an eye toward the future, ext3 or ext4 are fine, especially since many people are waiting for btrfs anyhow and will switch to that as soon as its available. Ext4 is merely a stopgap measure until btrfs becomes stable.
    Here are the advantages, they are impressive.
    http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4

"Multiblock allocation" and "Fast fsck" are not academic.
    Last edited by jeffus_il; October 29th, 2009 at 06:47 AM.
    If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
    Dalai Lama

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wow, I never noticed. I reboot my desktop about once a week, so I get that slow (about 20 seconds for my drive) fsck once every 30 weeks or so. I can't say that 20 seconds every 30 weeks has made much of a difference in my life. I think I've wasted more time peeing.
    Peeing is not a waste of time,
    You need to make room for beer.
    If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
    Dalai Lama

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123