Thread: wireless randomly fails, requires reboot

wireless randomly fails, requires reboot

I use a Lenovo T61, and lspci says the following about my wireless card: "03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)".

Occasionally (maybe a couple of times a day) internet via my wireless card just stops working: I seem to not be able to send/receive packets. If I try to restart my wireless either by ifdown eth1 then ifup eth1, or by /etc/init.d/networking restart, I get the following error:
    send_packet: Network is unreachable
    send_packet: please consult README file regarding broadcast address.
    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
        SET failed on device eth1 ; Resource temporarily unavailable.
    Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
        SET failed on device eth1 ; Resource temporarily unavailable.
    I then have to reboot for my wireless to work. If I don't reboot immediately once receiving this error, i.e. I continue to just use my laptop offline, then my laptop eventually (within a minute or two) freezes and I can no longer execute new programs or kill old ones. I then have to do a cold reboot to restore normal use of my laptop.

Does the above happen to anyone else, or has anyone heard of such an issue? I'm using Gutsy Gibbon, Ubuntu 7.10.

Here's my /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    wireless-mode managed
    wireless-essid someessidhere
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    auto eth0
    auto eth1

Re: wireless randomly fails, requires reboot

your not alone i had that problem to, i couldn't figure it out, i didn't have time to figure it out and just moved to win2k. i was using a ibm t20, blitz usb wireless, ndiswrapper.
    the wireless when it did work it was not dependable enough for me to let mom use it.
    sorry, i know it's not much help, just hang in there.

Orange California USA
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: wireless randomly fails, requires reboot

I am having similar intermittent wireless failure problems on my Lenovo T61 with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG in Jaunty.

I can connect to a wireless network but after maybe 10-15 minutes of usage it just abruptly stops. I have to reconnect to the wireless network to continue what I was doing. Strangely, I only see it happen while I'm watching streaming video tv shows like on

Also in my household using the same wireless is a Windows XP and a Mac laptop, and neither have the same issues as I am.

Power management is set to never/do nothing so I think the problem is in how Jaunty works with the 3945ABG.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Registered Linux User #446294 @ Linux Counter,