Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to view files on my C: drive with ubuntu installed as dual boot via Wine ?

Beans

SOLVED how to view files on my C: drive with ubuntu installed as dual boot via Wine ?

i have dual boot , windows vista with Ubuntu 9.04 , i installed Ubuntu using Wubi , but i can`t view the files in my documents folders in Windows Vista , i tried to mount the windows partition with ntfs-config , but sounds i got no clue what i am doing , so is there any way to get to browse my files in the windows documents folders ?
    Last edited by SilverBridge; October 26th, 2009 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans

Re: how to view files on my C: drive with ubuntu installed as dual boot via Wine ?

I installed Ubuntu via Wubi , not wine , i just mixed both , sorry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: how to view files on my C: drive with ubuntu installed as dual boot via Wine ?

Nm
    Last edited by jrrader; October 26th, 2009 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Poster fixed his error so my post was no longer valid.

Beans

sorry again for mixing Wine with Wubi , 2 letters make such a difference , and thanks for your fast replay jarrader , you are totally right , i installed Ubuntu on what so called virtual box , for example , when i browse my C: folder from my windows vista , there is an Ubuntu folder there 17 GB , to be honest , i didnt get much of what you said , i am still a total beginner , so i will appreciate if you show me the directions , and to be sure i gave the right meaning by my thread , i want to manage to read the files present in my documents in windows vista from Ubuntu ? so any help ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Click Places on the top bar of Ubuntu, then click on the icon for your hard drive. It may say "178 GB Media" or have a name like "HP Pavillion"

Beans

you still not getting the image people , i got 2 drives C and D , the D is already apparent , and i mount it normally , the issue is with the C drive , the ubuntu is installed as a virtual drive , so windows files present in folders above the root directory of Ubuntu is unreachable , for example , when i browse the C drive from my windows Vista , there is Ubuntu folder , next to it the Documents folder , the issue now , i can`t browse any folders other than the Ubuntu root folder in Ubuntu , so most of my files in the windows documents in the C drive is unaccessable .. any help ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No, I wasn't right. If you installed with Wubi then I was completely off the mark (which is why I removed my reply after you corrected your mistake).

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And Ubuntu doesn't care if it's on your "C" drive. Ubuntu doesn't even know what a C or D or any other lettered drive is. Everything is *UNDER* / (root) in Ubuntu. So if you go to Places, just click on each of the drives listed. It will then be mounted as /media/disk-1 or something similar. See, it's under /, then media, then disk-1.

If that doesn't work, or if your drive doesn't show up there, then go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and type:

sudo mkdir /media/windows
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/windows -t ntfs-3g -o force

where /dev/sda1 is the first partition of your first hard drive. This is usually C:, unless you have a recovery partition. If you *DO* have a recovery partition as your D: drive, then use /dev/sda2 instead of /dev/sda1

Beans

fluffman86 , You rock , It did work , Thanks Loads for your help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast