Thread: Undetected 250gb WD Passport external harddrive.

Beans

Undetected 250gb WD Passport external harddrive.

Hello,

I've recently purchased a 250gb Western Digital Passport 2.5" portable harddrive. It's formatted with NTFS, and I've removed the backup application and it's dependencies that was pre-loaded on the drive.

I'm running 9.04 i386, and my system is up to date according to the Update Manager.

The drive is not detected automatically mounted by Ubuntu.

I believe the drive is in working condition. It is detected by Windows XP and OSX.

I've read about the following issues, which so far have not resolved my problem:
    The drive was improperly removed from a Windows machine without 'Safely Removing Hardware' or shutting down Windows before unplugging the drive's USB cable.
    - I've attempted to 'reset' this by mounting and then 'Safely Removing Hardware' on Windows XP.

I've also read that some linux machines do not supply adequate power for external USB harddrives that aren't powered by a separate AC adapter. This could be a possible explanation, is there any sort of configuration changes I can make to my system to resolve the issue?

When I plug in the drive, the lights on the harddrive flash briefly immediately after plugging in the USB cable.

My machine has USB 2.0 ports. I haven't experienced any incompatiblity issues with my machine using any other USB devices. I've also tried all of the USB ports on my machine.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Beans

Re: Undetected 250gb WD Passport external harddrive.

Please, if anyone has any ideas or similar experiences to what I''ve described, please speak up. I can't think of any reasonable explanation for why a particular hard drive would be incompatible with my ubuntu system.

Beans

I have the WD Passport 250 G as well. It requires enough power to operate properly. I have read else where that this could be 1 amp (1A X 5V=10W). Most computer USB ports have limited power out put, you will have to find out what it is for your computer.

On my computer the passport would not work plugged into the front USB ports. It would only work plugged into the rear panel ports. I thought I would use an USB extension cable - the passport's lights would only flicker slightly, as it did plugged into the front panel, and would not work.

If you find your computer can not power the passport,this may have to do with howmany USB devices your cmputer is allready supporting, you may have to get an independently powered USB hub inorder to get your passport to work.

Beans

Sorry it's four weeks after the fact, but thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.