Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Beans

Exclamation Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 10.04

Hi, I'm newbie here. I've reading a lot this thread, because it helped me to install and run 9.1 64 bit, but now, I installed 10.04 64 bit. Same history, acpi off to install and first run, I downloaded a new compiled and patched kernel, but I got the famous "Kernel panic" at boot. So, I have compiled my own kernel, and surprise !!! The kernel panic again. Anybody can help me to solve this?

Beans

Smile Re: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Quote Originally Posted by colinwhipple View Post
    Yeah, what a total snafu.

"/usr/src/linux" should not be a directory, it should be a symbolic link. Somewhere along the line you created it as a directory. Its contents, and then it, should be deleted somehow. Using Nautilus as root would probably be the easiest way.

Then do the "ln -s linux-2.6.32.4 linux" command to create the symbolic link and go from there.

It's hard to say what else has gotten messed up. You may want to blow away this whole installation of Ubuntu and start over.

I don't recall, are you running 10.4 or 9.10? 9.10 is easier to make work on these Toshiba laptops. That is what I am using.

Colin
    Hey Colin, I took your advice and re-installed 9.10 and followed the instructions and am now up and running. I will search this thread to see if there's a way to keep the kernel from automatically updating until this is added. Thank you for your patient persistence.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Quote Originally Posted by colinwhipple View Post
    Do they show up in Synaptic as still installed? They can be uninstalled from there.

Colin
    Nope, not in Synaptic either.

Would it be wrong and/or dangerous to simply remove the unwanted images, et cetera from /boot/ and re-run update-grub?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tee_eff_em View Post
    Nope, not in Synaptic either.

Would it be wrong and/or dangerous to simply remove the unwanted images, et cetera from /boot/ and re-run update-grub?
    I don't know. As long as you leave the images you are using, my guess is that it should be safe...

Colin

Colin

Beans

Hey Colin,

The kernel that I compiled for the l505d is it compatiable with Ubuntu packages? Can you install stuff like Pidgin and Libdvd for dvd playback? I tried installing that stuff and got error messages saying that it failed. Do you think that the dsdt patch might be included in later kernels of Ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ericwwheeler View Post
    Hey Colin,

The kernel that I compiled for the l505d is it compatiable with Ubuntu packages? Can you install stuff like Pidgin and Libdvd for dvd playback? I tried installing that stuff and got error messages saying that it failed. Do you think that the dsdt patch might be included in later kernels of Ubuntu?
    It should be compatible. Sometimes on my system I get a message that an install failed, and then it turns out it didn't, and the software can be run from the Applications or System menu. Take a look.

The patch is supposed to be included in a future kernel, according to Comment #80 here:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14679

I keep monitoring here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

but I haven't seen it in any CHANGES summary yet.

Colin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: L505-ACPI-RCTL8191SE-64bits-generic

Hi, I sign up this account to say TANKS to all!
    Everything is working good! Wifi, webcam, ACPI (brigtness control, suspend, volume and music control, dual core with hyper threading...etc.
    The kernels downloaded from some posts don´t works for me, then I compiled several kernels until get the fully functionality.

You can download it from:
    http://www.coxei.com.ar/Cosas/linux-...stom_amd64.deb
    http://www.coxei.com.ar/Cosas/linux-...stom_amd64.deb

Compiled on Toshiba L505-GS5037 (intel, but "my" kernel is generic) using the official Ubuntu´s .config (.config-2.6.32-22-generic) and the linux-source from repository (lucid).
    Bytes

PD: don´t forget the following commands (after install the packets):
    sudo update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.32.11+drm33.2-l505-acpi-rtl8191se-64bits-generic
    sudo update-grub
    Last edited by Masevig; June 7th, 2010 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Correct URL again

Beans

Hello all,
    i was to lazy to do all this procedure a several times...
    so i toke all the commands and put them in little ugly script.
    if someone here also lazy you can use it

This script working on Ubuntu 10.04 64bit and Mint 9 64bit (Know by testing).

if you use it you need to run him as administrator and to be interactive with him until the "make menuconfig" command.

maybe some one alse have the time to edit this script to a "normal" one until the next update...

Download the script here
    Last edited by HeX0R; May 25th, 2010 at 04:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HeX0R View Post
    Hello all,

if you use it you need to run him as administrator and to be interactive with him until the "make menuconfig" command.

maybe some one alse have the time to edit this script to a "normal" one until the next update...

Download the script here

Thank you very much for the script.. I am not currently using ubuntu but i will save this just in case i decide to go back! Thanks again.. you have probably made many peoples lives alot easier

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HeX0R View Post
    Hello all,

Download the script here
    Thanks for the script file. It worked well. All I had to do otherwise was install my wireless driver.
    Worked on my l505d gs6000

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast