Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Quote Originally Posted by calimancer View Post
    I have the same problem with my new Toshiba L505D-S5992 trying to install and use Kubuntu 9.10. I also had to add "acpi=off" to the Grub. In other forum found that there is a problem with DSDT.

Here is how to fix DSDT:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...036051&page=10

I disassemble my dsdt.dat file, recompile it with iasl and it has 4 errors:

/home/cali/DSDT.dsl 9164: Alias (^AGP.VGA.UDCS, UDSC)
    Error 4064 - Object not found or not accessible from scope ^ (UDSC)

/home/cali/DSDT.dsl 9165: Alias (^AGP.VGA.LCD, PLCD)
    Error 4064 - ^ Object not found or not accessible from scope (PLCD)

/home/cali/DSDT.dsl 9166: Alias (^PB2.VGA.UDCS, UDS1)
    Error 4064 - Object not found or not accessible from scope ^ (UDS1)

/home/cali/DSDT.dsl 9167: Alias (^PB2.VGA.LCD, PLC1)
    Error 4064 - ^ Object not found or not accessible from scope (PLC1)

They are related to video but I don't know how to repair them.
    My laptop came with an ATI Radeon 4200 instead the ATI Radeon 4100 that says in the specificactions.
    just a thought,
    you might try to use the "Microsoft Windows 2000" section of ACPI's DSDT table.
    try rebooting instead of adding "acpi=off" to the Grub add
    acpi_os_name="Windows 2000"
    to the grub.
    eg.on grub os selection menu screen.press "e"key(edit)and scroll down to line that has "splash" on it and add
    to the left of "splash"
    eg.
    acpi_os_name="Windows 2000" splash.
    then press "esc" to back out to grub os menu and press "return" to boot up.
    see if this works for you.
    if you're using grub2 then press 'e'key to edit and 'ctrl'key + 'x'key to boot.
    also you chould try one of these :-
    acpi_os_name="Windows 2006 SP1"
    or
    acpi_os_name="Windows 2006"
    or
    acpi_os_name="Windows 2001 SP2"
    or
    acpi_os_name="Windows 2001 SP1"
    or
    or
    acpi_os_name="Microsoft Windows NT"
    Last edited by raygj; November 5th, 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added other options that might work?

Beans

What about this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/459837 ?

It seems to handle my bug quite good. I'll test the proposed solution soon (... I'll have to free some disk space to recompile the kernel). Please note that in the headline, the bug refers to Toshiba X200. If you follow the links of the ticket, you'll see that it happens for other laptops as well. Maybe you're lucky and your bug is fixed, too?

Update: I recompiled the kernel using the patch mentioned above. Now I can boot without specifying "acpi=off".

Best regards, Uli
    Last edited by uli100; November 6th, 2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added experiences with recompiled kernel

Beans

I own a Toshiba Satelite P200 with a Ati Radeon HD2400 videocard and got the same error at boot: "/sbin/modprobe -b acpi:LNXVIDEO unexpected exit with status 0x0009"
    After this error the system seems to hang for about 180 seconds.

I solved this by simply uninstalling the splash screens:

sudo apt-get remove usplash xsplash

Beans

Arnieh: Removing usplash and xsplash didn't change the problem for me.

Uli: I've never had to compile a custom kernel. Would you have a link with instructions that could walk a newb through it?

Beans

RayGJ: The acpi_os_name=xxxxxxx didn't change the behavior for my system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uli100 View Post
    What about this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/459837 ?

It seems to handle my bug quite good. I'll test the proposed solution soon (... I'll have to free some disk space to recompile the kernel). Please note that in the headline, the bug refers to Toshiba X200. If you follow the links of the ticket, you'll see that it happens for other laptops as well. Maybe you're lucky and your bug is fixed, too?

Update: I recompiled the kernel using the patch mentioned above. Now I can boot without specifying "acpi=off".

Best regards, Uli
    I went to this site:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

and one of the things they say is that if you don't know what you are doing that is a reason NOT to attempt to compile a custom kernel.

So my question is, can I get your recompiled kernel, or, alternatively, how likely is it that the fix will find its way into the mainstream kernel?

Thanks,
    Colin

Beans

Interesting thread- I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite L505-SP6984R which is Intel based, and have had no trouble loading either Ubuntu 9.04 (32-bit) and Ubuntu 9.10 (64-bit)- everything worked out of the box. However, when running a specialized software package Salome-MECA (CAELinux), I have some graphics issues (windows don't refresh properly in certain modes). First thought was a problem with memory swapping, but nothing is getting swapped to the swap partition, and memory usage is not stressed (3G memory). CAELinux forum threads suggest the Intel chipsets are not the best solution for graphics for this application, but it seems I no longer have a choice. So, trying to research how to tweak the graphics performance, I have really confused myself.
    According to Linux Graphics Drivers web page, version 2.4.0 of xf86-video-intel, released 2008-7-23, includes support of the Intel 4 Series chipset, but in the documentation, I find nothing regarding this particular chipset.
    My Toshiba L505 is reportedly using a VGA compatible controller, "Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)", "Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff11" (from "System Information" run on the Laptop).
    According to the specification document from Toshiba, the chipset is actually a GL40 Express Chipset. I find no documentation regarding how the various designations are related. Is the GL40 a subset of the 4 Series set? I find no documentation on the Linux Graphics Drivers web page mentioning either the Mobile 4 Series or the GL40 Chipset, other than the release note cited above.
    Graphics information includes a note about "Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M"
    Following note included as footnote to Graphics:
    " Graphics (Graphics Processing Unit).
    GPU performance may vary depending on product model, design configuration, applications, power management settings and features utilized. GPU performance is only optimized when operating in AC power mode and may decrease considerably when operating in battery power mode.

"Total Available Graphics Memory is the total of, as applicable, Dedicated Video Memory, System Video Memory and Shared System Memory. Shared System Memory will vary
    depending on system memory size and other factors."

So, any suggestions on where to go next to figure out if I can tweak the graphics performance? Any idea how to translate all the different hardware designators, or at least figure out what is really installed?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by colinwhipple View Post
    I went to this site:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

and one of the things they say is that if you don't know what you are doing that is a reason NOT to attempt to compile a custom kernel.
    Colin, I think the argument goes "don't compile your own kernel because you might blow up your system". I'm OK with blowing up this particular system, as it has no irreplacable data. Besides, if you follow that reasoning, no one would ever compile their first kernel.

In fact, that link you included has some pretty good instructions. I think I will try that tonight!

Beans

Mike,

Please let us know how well it works for you.

Colin

Beans

Sorry, but no joy. I got a bunch of errors and no .deb kernel install package.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast