Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Beans

Re: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Quote Originally Posted by raven920 View Post
    I just installed Lucid Final, can I download the Ubuntu Kernel and apply that patch to it? Will it work?

Thank you for your answer.
    Dunno. The patch I have used comes from here:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14679

Colin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by colinwhipple View Post
    Dunno. The patch I have used comes from here:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14679

Colin
    Will it work on the ubuntu kernel?

Beans
    Hidden!

ivanmmj complied a 32 bit Ubuntu Kernel here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...oshiba&page=16

scroll down to post 157,158 & 159.
    So yeah the patch works on a Ubuntu kernel.
    But I could only get it to work on Ubuntu 10.04
    Last edited by Lykopis; April 30th, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_Lurker View Post
    Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but....

That patch still hasn't made it into the kernel yet, has it? (unless I'm missing it, 2.6.33.3 doesn't have it)

Gaaaaahh... That's getting really annoying... I'm planning on getting a new laptop whenever AMD releases their Fusion CPU early next year, I'm starting to believe this laptop still won't have proper non-hacked Linux support by the time that happens.
    Lurker:
    I have tried kernels 2.6.32 - 2.6.34 and none of them have the patch yet.
    I think we might see the patch as part of the 2.6.34 kernel when it's in stable release.

Edit: I just looked through the source code for Kernel 2.6.34-rc5-next-20100430 (ACPI)
    and it looks like the Toshiba patch is in there.

Unfortunately this is one of the downsides of Linux when it comes to new hardware.
    There is a lag for new drivers to make stuff work right. The Toshiba bio's are in that
    category at the moment. So expect that sometimes really new hardware will not to have
    full Linux support right away.
    Last edited by Lykopis; April 30th, 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raven920 View Post
    Will it work on the ubuntu kernel?
    The problem in answering this is that there is not just one kernel. What I have been patching and compiling is different versions of the linux kernel, found here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

I have been successful in patching and compiling some of the 2.6.31 and 2.6.32 series kernels. But I have not been able to get any of the 2.6.33 series kernels to compile and work properly.

Colin

Beans

I've got a Toshiba Satellite L505D-GS6000 and encountered with 9.10 the same acpi problems everyone else was. Booting with "acpi=off" and "--noapic" options allowed me to install and later boot, and the kernel from ivanmmj was a nice fix that seemed to allow proper ACPI (as well as multi-core, the fresh install didn't seem to have multi-core support).

I also downloaded and compiled the native vendor driver for the Wifi card (Realtek RTL8191SE). That worked too, though the Gnome Network Manager proved to be a bit finicky.

Next, however, I encountered the strangest of errors - spontaneous reboots. This has happened to me five times in the last 18 hours, with no apparent consistency of what I was doing at the time. I consulted every log in /var/log that was written around the time-frames of the reboots, but didn't find anything akin to a crash or panic.

I'm dual-booting in Win7 (the manufacturer install) and the problem doesn't seem to extend to there, so I suspect it is not a hardware issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? What else can I possibly do to troubleshoot this and find a fix?

As a side note, I also can't get the ATI Radeon proprietary drivers installed. The native Ubuntu installer fails, and when I tried to manually install a direct download from AMD's support site, I had my fifth spontaneous reboot.

I'd hate to have to return this laptop (I'm still within the 14 days BestBuy window) but at this point, I'm sorely tempted to anyway as this is the worst Toshiba in terms of Linux comaptibility that I've bought in 12 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Eric

Beans

I am using a Toshiba Satellite L505D-LS5004, laptop. I am running 10.4 Lucid, 64 bit. I managed to install and boot using the acpi=off option. Then I tried to compile and install a new kernel, using the instructions by ivanmmj on page 8 of this thread. Everything went smoothly, apparently without a hitch. I used the 2 original deb files he posted:

linux-headers-2.6.32-l505d-speed_2.6.32-l505d-speed-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb
    &
    linux-image-2.6.32-l505d-speed_2.6.32-l505d-speed-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb

These also installed with no problem.

However, when I then tried to reboot, I received error messages:

[ 0.719716] pci 0000.03.000: Bar6: no parent found for of device [0xfffe0000-0xffffffff]
    [ 1.271937]Kernel panic - notsyncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

At that point the boot froze.

#1) Anyone know what went wrong?
    #2) Any suggestions? (e.g., is there a different kernel for 10.4, 64 bit, or is there something I need to edit?)

Please: I am not a computer newbie, and I have been using Ubunti since Hardy, but we are in a realm here which is at the limit of my capabilities. So please, if you can help, be specific.

Thanks everyone who has participated in this thread. Damn to hell Toshiba.

Bob Ingraham

Beans

Bob,

I don't have an answer for you, but I will say that I have had more success with Karmic than with Lucid Lynx. I have both installed on my L505D-S5983, and I spend most of my time in 64bit Karmic.

Even though the final of Lucid is out, I think it is still a bit raw, so to speak.

Colin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lykopis View Post
    Unfortunately this is one of the downsides of Linux when it comes to new hardware.
    There is a lag for new drivers to make stuff work right. The Toshiba bio's are in that
    category at the moment. So expect that sometimes really new hardware will not to have
    full Linux support right away.

Cheers. I really blame Toshiba and Insyde, TBH. I've built tons of desktop PCs for myself and others, I never have this kinds of problem with desktop parts, and a nice tier-1 motherboards like Asus and Gigabyte. Even when the CPU/chipset are very new, I've still had no problem getting Linux up and running. I'm going to do a bit more research on my next laptop purchase to make sure Linux has proper out-of-the-box support.

rdingraham: I get that problem using 64 bit Linux, but 32 bit works fine. I've given up on getting 64 bit working properly on that laptop. I've tried every which way to get 64 bit running on there(for the sake of being able to run a 64 bit Windows Server VM), but I just gave up and committed that project to my desktop PC.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_Lurker View Post
    rdingraham: I get that problem using 64 bit Linux, but 32 bit works fine. I've given up on getting 64 bit working properly on that laptop. I've tried every which way to get 64 bit running on there(for the sake of being able to run a 64 bit Windows Server VM), but I just gave up and committed that project to my desktop PC.
    Linux_Lurker: Over the weekend, I'll try a full install of 10.4 32 bit. Do you recommend that I stick with ivanmmj's original two kernel deb files (the one's posted on page 8, message 79 of this thread), or have you had bettor success with any of the subsequent kernels that were posted?

Thanks, Bob Ingraham

Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast