Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Beans

Re: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

I was able to get my L505D-S5983 working properly by compiliing a patch into my kernel to copy the dsdt table at the beginning of the boot process before the bios has a chance to re-write it. Everything works including the touchpad and battery meter. currently, I only have linux installed on a 16gb flash drive, but I am preparing to install onto a hard drive partition. I am using Linux Mint 8 with my custom kernel package. I will put the package on my ftp server in a little whlie and put a link here. Although I only have an 800k upload speed right now, I figure, perhaps someone with a little more bandwidth could host it later.

The patch I added to my kernel is from the following link:
    http://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=23958
    http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14679, the bug has not had anything done on it since december, but the patch still works.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerds View Post
    I was able to get my L505D-S5983 working properly by compiliing a patch into my kernel to copy the dsdt table at the beginning of the boot process before the bios has a chance to re-write it. Everything works including the touchpad and battery meter. currently, I only have linux installed on a 16gb flash drive, but I am preparing to install onto a hard drive partition. I am using Linux Mint 8 with my custom kernel package. I will put the package on my ftp server in a little whlie and put a link here. Although I only have an 800k upload speed right now, I figure, perhaps someone with a little more bandwidth could host it later.

The patch I added to my kernel is from the following link:
    http://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=23958
    http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14679, the bug has not had anything done on it since december, but the patch still works.
    Please give us a link of your custom linux kernel when you upload it.
    Please elaborate how to apply patches.
    Thank you very much.

Beans

Sweet. Going to try compiling it. Patching it now. (Building it on 10.04 and also patching it with BFS just to test that out, too. Not for this problem, but still...)

EDIT: The Patch command is hanging with either this patch or the BFS patch and isn't doing anything... :-/

haha, my fault.. I know why it wasn't working... It's too embarrassing to say...
    Last edited by ivanmmj; January 19th, 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Beans

That didn't work.
    Maybe I did something wrong...

EDIT: 2.6.32 doesn't work with either the patch nor the kernel switches. I'm going to try it again with the latest 2.6.31 kernel.

EDIT2: 9.10 with 2.6.31.12
    with the patch DOES work. (Didn't try BFS this time.)
    Last edited by ivanmmj; January 20th, 2010 at 07:30 AM.

Beans

Yeah, I was using the 2.6.31 kernel for my linux mint. I have not yet managed to get it onto my ftp server yet, but when I do, I will put the link here. Mint 8 is based off of ubuntu 9.10, so the kernel package may work for that version as well.

I had never patched a kernel before, but from reading that bug release, it is the only solution that I could find. I am not sure if i can find the documents that I used for the patching, and the compiling, but I did modify the directions in my head a little as I performed them.

Beans

I tried it again, this time on a 2.6.32 kernel and it worked just as well as it did on the 2.6.31. It's all working properly. It can even see my battery.

Beans

I would like to try doing a kernel patch to solve this problem, but the instructions I can find on the Internet leave me confused. If someone can point me to clear step-by-step instructions, I would be most appreciative.

Colin

Beans

OK, 10.04 works fine with the patch, also.

I'll try to upload them and post them here. (If I can find somewhere that will hold something that massive.) If not, I'll try to write up a walkthrough on how to compile your own kernel with the patch.

Beans

I finally got my kernel for linux mint that I made onto my ftp server, the url is ftp://kingofnerds.servemp3.com/kernels/

Remember I don't have a very fast upload speed, so it will take a while to download.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerds View Post
    I finally got my kernel for linux mint that I made onto my ftp server, the url is ftp://kingofnerds.servemp3.com/kernels/

Remember I don't have a very fast upload speed, so it will take a while to download.
    Thanks.

In the past when I have installed a kernel, there has been a headers...all and a headers...i386.

Is the headers...all not necessary?

Colin

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast