Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Quote Originally Posted by jcer93705 View Post
    Well the thing is all the virus, trojan and spywares and other nasty thing is target to window since its a popular os. Also theres a reason why its so popular right? Just like android phones its more popular now then iphone 4. Why? Simply better. But i just hate that window work better then anything else thats why i want linux!! Show them all that linux work out of box with everything. But thats not the case that i experience with.
    The reason it's so popular is called monopoly-- MS-Windows comes on almost every PC sold, and Microsoft wants it that way. Check out this Novell web page:
    http://support.novell.com/techcenter...c2005_02c.html
    Most "People" just use MS-Windows because it's already there. Some don't even know there is an alternative that's available to them. I have used Linux for over 6 years and still don't know all there is to know. Then how can one just try it for a few days and get a real feel for any distro? Not going to happen my friend. In that 6 years I never had a Linux system compromised or broken into, & nothing that even comes close to a virus. As I said before MS-Windows was compromised 3 days after I purchased this Laptop. Windows FireWall Failed it's just that simple. Most Internet servers are running some *nix platform and not MS-Windows, Why? Because Unix / Linux & BSD are far more secure. As for out of the box experience with Linux. I can tell you a Toshiba A505 or L505 is not a good starter PC. Try a common desktop PC instead, Say a Dell or IBM (now called Lenovo).
    However if you choose MS-Windows over Linux that's your choice, just as I choose to use Linux, so if you are happy with it cool then
    Last edited by Lykopis; October 21st, 2010 at 07:33 AM.
    Visit My Wolf's Den Here:
    http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reswswlb/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lykopis View Post
    No what I mean is a Quake 3 main file that runs under Linux without Wine I.E. a Linux executable file, it might be in the Ubuntu synaptic. Otherwise look at
    http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quak...e_section=demo
    You will find the Linux demo there. Use your *.pak files from your full windows version, it should work. As I said I don't game any more so I can't promise you.
    I don't know what "bugs" you might refer to, as Ubuntu 10.10 runs Quite well on my machine. I can watch YouTube files, play CD's and with the Mediubuntu repository, DVD's work fine in Totem. I have compiz running and full 3D effects, the only time I get a crash is if I do something that's stupid.
    Well i've been coping couple iso to a back up drive few min ago and frozed my laptop with cap luck led blinking. Some how virtual machine when i run it i ran fedora iso and i click on install in fedora live and doesn't do anything, many games sound isn't working, alot of compatibility issues. You are a person that does basic stuff like watch movies, listen mp3 and run compiz. But if you get to gaming, i don't game much but still addicted to some games. Wine is terrible app to run window app. I installed quake 3 there and damn mouse would get stuck on one side and just crazy. Linux is great for multimedia though. Do you have toshiba l505d gs6000? Can you do copy and paste without crashing????? There this one media center that comes with sabayon linux and i tried going by installing it in ubuntu without sucess.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jcer93705 View Post
    Well i've been coping couple iso to a back up drive few min ago and frozed my laptop with cap luck led blinking. Some how virtual machine when i run it i ran fedora iso and i click on install in fedora live and doesn't do anything, many games sound isn't working, alot of compatibility issues. You are a person that does basic stuff like watch movies, listen mp3 and run compiz. But if you get to gaming, i don't game much but still addicted to some games. Wine is terrible app to run window app. I installed quake 3 there and damn mouse would get stuck on one side and just crazy. Linux is great for multimedia though. Do you have toshiba l505d gs6000? Can you do copy and paste without crashing????? There this one media center that comes with sabayon linux and i tried going by installing it in ubuntu without sucess.
    The problem with "All" Toshiba A505 and L505's is the INSYDE Bios, that thing is so buggy it should be tossed. I can copy & paste just fine. However I don't use virtual machine, I found performance under it to be totally unacceptable. As to the Sabayon Media Center I think you are referring to XBMC, it's really just X-box Media Center.
    You can find it here:
    http://xbmc.org/
    I never tried to install it though.
    As to Compiz, Well it's not "Basic stuff", it's not enabled or installed by default. and it will slow down a PC if the video card is not up to it & there are some PC's it won't run on at all. Wine really isn't all that good for MS-Windows games. It will run some Windows Apps, But not all. I did use Photoshop with it for a while though.
    My advice to people is "If you are a gamer use an X-Box or a MS-Windows PC."

PS:
    For Linux to work properly on an A505 or a L505 or any PC Using the INSYDE bios you need a distro that uses Kernel 2.6.35.* or better
    And you still might have to use the -- acpi=copy_dsdt -- Kernel command for it to boot up.
    At this time Sabayon and Ubuntu are about all that's stable on that Kernel. Fedora won't use that Kernel till Fedora 14 -- still in beta.
    OpenSuse will use it in 11.4 -- still in milestone... Others I just don't know about.
    Last edited by Lykopis; October 22nd, 2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: add info

Beans

I just want to say that I feel I share a bond with all who have went through this ordeal, which for most, began in that fateful holiday season upon the cusp of 2010.

I waited for a proper Linux installation, unsatisfied with the hack-ish fixes attempted in the early going. Today, a dream has come to fruition. In truth, I had been using virtualbox through windows to satisfy the work I'd rather do on a linux machine, but I got burnt for the last time with malware....while running as a regular user, with antivirus/spyware installed, etc...

Came back to this thread, saw the boon had been achieved.

Beans
    Hidden!

Glad you are happy with Ubuntu.
    I know there are some that still have problems and it's not perfect yet on all 505 machines,
    I believe the next Linux Kernel will be much better on these Machines .
    I did discover that if you use Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu you can disable
    the Touch-Pad in KDE's system settings for easier typing.
    At this time it's not possible in Ubuntu's Gnome desktop.
    I haven't tried Kubuntu out very well though so there could be other problems.
    So if you are up to the experimenting that could prove to be a good set up for some of us.

Beans

hey there guys!

so i haven't spent the time to go through this entire thread, and for that, I am very sorry. But my goal here is to try to help out some others if they are still having issues with booting their toshiba laptops past the "kernel_thread_helper" on live CD or the actual installation.

This can be fixed by following this tutorial: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/420

I wrote it, because I had only found the fix for My laptop in one place, and it took me over a month to find 1 line of code.

I apologize if it is too hard to understand. I do hope that everyone will benefit from the tutorial!

Hope all is well!

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy Re: Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04

Hi, I'v got the Toshiba L750 model. Could anyone help me with a step by step procedure to install ubuntu(any version). Never faced any problem while installing it on my desktop, but apparently toshiba doesn't support op systems apart from windows! i tried installing it, but while booting it doesn't show any option other than win7. Also the "help boot from CD" option doesn't work.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344