Thread: Conky Start Up

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Conky Start Up

How do you get your Conky to start up, so it's there on your desktop when you turn on your computer? I have 2 conky files: conkyrc and conkyrc2. From a terminal I type conky which launches the first one, then I type conky -c .conkyrc2 which launches the second one. But I would like to have them automatically start up if possible. Any help is appreciated.
    Apevia X-Cruiser | AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz | Gigabyte 790X-UD4P | 4GB G Skill RAM | WD 320GB HD | NVIDIA 8600GT | PC Power & Cooling 500W Silencer | Pioneer CD/DVD | Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Conky Start Up

Go to system->preferences->startup applications.
    Add a new one called conky with the command
    Code:
    conky
    Add another called conky2 with the command
    Code:
    conky -c .conkyrc2
    DMedia - Distributed Media Library
    LaVida - A simulation game for Linux
    AskUbuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

thanks that worked, however, when I restart or turn on the computer, there's something different with the conky background. For example, if I move an application like Firefox over to it, it appears underneath conky (see Screenshot.png). I'm wondering if there's something I can change in the conky files to prevent this from happening. Screenshot-1.png is how I want it to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Apevia X-Cruiser | AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz | Gigabyte 790X-UD4P | 4GB G Skill RAM | WD 320GB HD | NVIDIA 8600GT | PC Power & Cooling 500W Silencer | Pioneer CD/DVD | Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dv3500ea View Post
    Go to system->preferences->startup applications.
    Add a new one called conky with the command
    Code:
    conky
    Add another called conky2 with the command
    Code:
    conky -c .conkyrc2
    that worked while I was using 9.04, but since I upgraded to Karmic 9.10, it doesn't work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pkjm17 View Post
    thanks that worked, however, when I restart or turn on the computer, there's something different with the conky background. For example, if I move an application like Firefox over to it, it appears underneath conky (see Screenshot.png). I'm wondering if there's something I can change in the conky files to prevent this from happening. Screenshot-1.png is how I want it to be.
    This is a conflict between conky and compiz. When conky loads before compiz, that effect happens.

The easiest solution is a simple bash script. Yours might look something like this:

Code:
    #! /bin/bash/
    sleep 12
    conky && conky -c conkyrc2;
    That simply tells your machine to wait 12 seconds and then load conky and conkyrc2. That should be plenty of time for Compiz to load.

Save this as something simple like conkyscript.sh since it's a shell script. Save it to your home folder.

Now, we need to make it executable. Go into terminal and do this:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /home/[username]/conkyscript.sh
    Replace [username] with your username of course.

Now, while you're in terminal, copy it over to your home folder.

Then simply rename it .conkyscript.sh so it's now a hidden file.

In startup applications, add the path to .conkyscript.sh

You can take out the other start up conky.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Funkbomb View Post
    This is a conflict between conky and compiz. When conky loads before compiz, that effect happens.

The easiest solution is a simple bash script. Yours might look something like this:

Code:
    #! /bin/bash/
    sleep 12
    conky && conky -c conkyrc2;
    That simply tells your machine to wait 12 seconds and then load conky and conkyrc2. That should be plenty of time for Compiz to load.

Save this as something simple like conkyscript.sh since it's a shell script. Save it to your home folder.

Now, we need to make it executable. Go into terminal and do this:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /home/[username]/conkyscript.sh
    Replace [username] with your username of course.

Now, while you're in terminal, copy it over to your home folder.

Then simply rename it .conkyscript.sh so it's now a hidden file.

In startup applications, add the path to .conkyscript.sh

You can take out the other start up conky.
    Just to be clear...when I add my path (/home/pat/.conkyscript.sh/) in the Start Up Applications, this goes in the Command field?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the extra info guys, i read somewhere else or maybe in a different thread that a delay of 30 seconds would definitely do the job and after trying everything it has and well you don't notice 30 seconds trust me in fact it seemed to load faster than that so cheers anyway and i hope my input will help someone else out there and lastly i'm running lucid by the way.
    Windows is my Secretary | OSX is my Girlfriend | GNU/Linux is my Wife - It's as simple as traffic lights! ;D

Beans

Conky is pretty exciting new stuff to get into. Thanks for the guide.