Thread: Laptop display not showing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Laptop display not showing

Hello all,

I changed my display rotation and now nothing shows up on the screen (the screen isn't even lit) after ubuntu finishes loading at boot up. It's an IBM R40 running Ubuntu 9.04. I could sign in, open a terminal and run a command w/o the display, or boot up via live cd and do the changes from there.

Any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks
    :wq

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Laptop display not showing

Sorry to bump this but it's kind of important because I have notes on that computer for a class I'm having a test in this week, so if any body knows a command that will work , or a configuration file I can edit from a live cd please let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've been looking, but can't find it unless it has become part of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. See if there is anything in that which appears to relate to the display rotation, and if so back up the file and edit it out, then try a login again.

Failing that as a temporary measure it may be possible to rename the ~/,gconf folder as ~/.gconfbak and then logout and in again. That will remove most of your display configuration, but I am not sure about the rotation effect.

As a last resort you can always get to your files using the live CD, and work on them as well, if you need to, though it will of course be rather slower than you are used to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I'm going to check out those files mentioned and see what I can find.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unfortunately I've tried editing those files, and renaming from a livecd, but to no avail. Any other suggestions as to where a file that handles screen rotation may be located?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I found this when having a look around here and it may help (or it may not!)

ToyKeeper wrote on the 29 Feb 08 at 22:43
    I don't know what hardware you're using, but rotation does "actually work" on my gutsy desktop... sort of.

If I run this, the screen rotates to display correctly while my monitor is rotated:

xrandr --output DVI --rotate left

However, it has some limitations. The screen updates rather slowly, because my system doesn't seem to support rotation in hardware. And, if I try to use a video overlay while rotated, the system seems to lock up.

So, the intel video driver needs some work, but the functionality does at least exist.
    dan.fernandez wrote on the 1 Mar 08 at 01:13
    ToyKeeper,
    yes, it works, as long as you have:

Option "RandRRotation" "on"
    Option "Rotate" "CW"
    Option "Rotate" "CCW"

In your xorg.conf (not by default, or it's lost on screen resolution change). After that is in the file, a simple xrandr --rotate left / right / normal turns the screen. Would be nice to check when that options are lost and fix that.

Also see:-
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/15918
    http://www.ubuntuts.com/screen-rotat...-useful-trick/
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 26th, 2009 at 11:17 PM.