Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why haven't all IM protocols implemented this feature?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: why haven't all IM protocols implemented this feature?

Quote Originally Posted by DillByrne View Post
    yea but its still a useful feature coz say for instance i use the facebook plugin in pidgin and everytime i log in my lil cousin will msg me and im just like hey . . . (ahhh go away!!!), but i still wnat to keep her as a contact!! you know in this case it has use
    She's a little child. She's saying hi. She (apparently) apreciates you (I think that's kind of nice).

If you're busy you can always say so or simply report yourself as AFK or not answering at all.

As a last resort you can block her from seeing you online and unblock her back if needed. (Though you'd be a hole in my book.) (EDIT: Oh, Tipped said it first, I must be getting slow)
    Wish I could prove I love you, but does that mean I have to walk on water?
    When we are older you'll understand it's enough when I say so, and maybe some things are that simple.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lzfy View Post
    Can't you just block this person?
    Would they know they are being blocked?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Hetor View Post
    I don't understand. If you don't like this person, then why the hell do you keep it in your buddy list?
    It doesn't matter if they are on my buddy list, just if I'm on theirs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Would they know they are being blocked?
    No. Unless of course they ask a common contact, and that contact tells them you are online when they see you as offline.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!

I see. I didn't realize that the "block" feature did that. Great, excuse my ignorance on asking the question, then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

IRC ignore command

/thread
    Registered Linux user: 461,426
    Registered Ubuntu user: 20512

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

EDIT: These things move quickly. I had this all typed up, and the solution appears right above me.

I understand what the OP is after. It's not necessarily dislike, so much as that sort of person who has to message you every bloody time you're on, but has nothing really good to say. You get a lot of "yeah" and "ok" exchanges once every five minutes or so. I'd like to be available for a few people I'd really like to talk to (but whom I can't constantly monitor while being away or invisible), but I don't want to get inundated by those one or two who abuse it.

It's not as simple as telling somebody, "Gee, could you like not talk to me very much please." It's an awkward situation, especially if you're otherwise good friends but just have really horrid IM conversations.

As it is, I usually just give up and don't start my IM client. Saves system resources at that.
    Last edited by Squonk07; October 25th, 2009 at 08:47 PM.
    Drifting back and forth between Windows and Linux--I'm in it for the technology, not the philosophy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Some protocols will also remove the contact if you block them, which is not preferred (IE: YIM.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JT9161 View Post
    IRC ignore command

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipped OuT View Post
    Use the block feature, when you want to communicate with the person you blocked, then unblock him/her.

/thread
    Ur doin it wrong.
    Are you a trumpet player?
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I could see this being useful elsewhere. Not so much status as status messages. Let's say you have friend X and you want to tell him something, so you put it in a status that he sees. Or if you want to keep it private from friend Y, but still want to tell everyone else. Or if you have something special to say to spouse Z, you can set it as your status message for them.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast