Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences with Asus UL30

Beans

Re: Asus UL30 anyone?

Hey,

Quote Originally Posted by AXBX7C View Post
    Quote:
    "After upgrading to some more recent kernel (.33, .34rc6 atm) all the
    issues with non-working brightness controls / Fn keys were gone as well.
    You can get recent kernel from the Mainline ppa:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    I was the one suggesting this kernel upgrade via the UL30 Mailinglist. Although it does solve the issues with brightness and screen flicker, i find the above posted solution much cleaner. So i reverted to Lucid stock kernel and your suggested fix. It works fine and now i even got a nice bar popup while changing brightness.

Cheers,
    Ralf.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey guys. I thought I would give a little bit of an update about how things have been going for me using Ubuntu on my ul30vt. This may be a bit long but I thought my experience may be useful for people trying to get Ubuntu running smoothly on the vt series.

I bought this laptop about a week or so before Lucid came out so I was running Karmic. I didn't do a whole lot of tweaking under Karmic because I knew I would be wiping it off as soon as Lucid came out. I did do the touch pad and nvidia shut down hacks and those worked very well under Karmic. Also, when using Karmic, I found the wireless to be somewhat unstable. I probably had half the signal strength as I did under Win7. The solution was to download "linux-backports-modules-karmic" from the repositories. Using Lucid, my wifi seems to work perfect right out of the box. I had no need to download the backport modules.

Onto my experience running Lucid:

First off, let me just say how fast the install was. I did the whole install in less than 25 minutes, probably close to 20. I didn't time Win7 but something tells me it wasn't near as fast. I dual boot with Lucid/Win7 btw. I may have to consider doing a tripple boot with Lucid/Win7/XP since Win7 doesn't seem to like playing older games via lan with my friends who still use XP. But thats another topic.

Graphics:
    From all my reading I have determined that you cannot use the nvidia card under Linux at the moment. That's ok because there is a way to disable it and use the onboard Intel graphics so you can at least save some battery life. The Intel graphics under Ubuntu seem to work fine for the most part. I haven't tried any Hulu out but I was able to play 720p youtube with no issues and other 720p movies streaming over wifi from my server. I haven't had a chance to test out 1080p playback except under Win7 using the nvidia card which was FLAWLESS. Btw, I'm using the 64 bit version of flash in Ubuntu.

The one issue I have had is that every now and then the screen will flicker a little and when I drag a window with compiz on there is some tearing on the title bar. That is no biggie though. It's nothing I can't live with.

To disable the nvidia graphics card (thanks to avilella in post #66 on page 7 for the info on this fix):

Download (I know it says its for Karmic but it worked for me under Lucid)
    http://launchpadlibrarian.net/384580...karmic_all.deb

After installing, run the following in the terminal:
    sudo modprobe nvidia_g210m_acpi

One caveat though is that once you suspend or hibernate, the card comes back on and this command will not work. You will have to restart the system to be able to use it again. Someone provided updated code with hibernation support but you will have to compile it. Here is the link http://forum.notebookreview.com/5664880-post1244.html

Brightness:
    No, the brightness control does not work out of the box. Neither the hotkeys or the software controls worked for me. I tried a few different solutions but none really worked. What worked for me was using the scrip provided by elchicoshinhada in post #63 on page 7 of this thread. My hotekeys now work yay! Sometimes you have to press them in 1 second intervals or the brightness bounces around and sometimes they work perfect but who cares? They work! It actually seems to work better after installing that package for turning off the nvidia card.

Touchpad:
    My last two ultraportables/netbooks, Dell X300 and MSI Wind U230 had great touchpads. This touchpad, not so much. The multitouch is really nice but it seems slow and unresponsive no matter what OS I use. That was until Cierreics: in post #85 on page 7 provided a nice little hal file that makes it much more usable. Still not the best trackpad but that is more a design/hardware issue then it is a software issue now.

In terminal type:
    sudo gedit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/asus-X11-touchpad.fdi

Then paste:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <device>
      <match key="info.product" string="ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse">
        <merge key="input.x11_options.AccelerationProfile" type="string">7</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VelocityScale" type="string">1000</merge> 
      </match>
    </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    Save and reboot.

Now adjust your touchpad settings and enjoy!

Also, be sure to check out Cierreics other post, #88, for some addtional power saving tips!

Misc:
    Most everything other then what I have posted about seems to work out of the box, at least what I have tested. I have not tested hdmi yet but a couple of users have said it does not work. Wifi, bt, suspend, hibernate, card reader, and most everything else seem to work. I'm not sure if the Intel graphics card's hd decoder works uner Ubuntu or not. I was able to play 720p though so maybe it is.

The 64bit version of Ubuntu is really a joy to run on this machine. I dual boot to play most of my games under Win7. I also run Wine and VirtualBox for games and programs like dvd decryptor and utorrent. This machine runs XP under VirtualBox very well. I am able to run XP at 1360x768 with no lag. I can even play some older games like Pharaoh with no problems.

If you are considering buying one of the vt series, stop considering and go buy it. With a little tweaking this machine is quite capable of many modern day tasks and certainly is Linux friendly.

Hopefully, nvida will realease a Linux driver that supports hybrid graphics so I can switch between cards like in Win7. That would allow me to play more of my games in Ubuntu instead of rebooting to 7.

Sorry to type your eyes off but hopefully someone will get some good info out of my post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi all, finally I've installed Lucid!!

It works very well, I've installed the 2.6.34-rc7 kernel: very fast, less power consumption and no problems with backlight, only some screen glitches...

The HAL system is deprecated in Lucid, so my previous touchpad settings on post #85 doesn't work. I've tried to write a udev rule and a xorg.conf file instead, with no luck, but the solution is really simple, using xinput!!

Open a terminal and paste this:

xinput set-prop "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 1000.000000

it will gives the feeling of my previous settigs, you can try to reduce the value to find a good balance with gnome mouse settings.

Once you've found out your perfect value, put that command in a new entry on System->Preferences->Startup applications.

My previous power settings on post #88 are still valid, there's only one thing you should do:

sudo gedit /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/powersave-policy-dirty-writeback

change the values 6000 and 1500 to both 60000 and save.

Bye!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Penguin View Post
    Onto my experience running Lucid:

Graphics:
    From all my reading I have determined that you cannot use the nvidia card under Linux at the moment. That's ok because there is a way to disable it and use the onboard Intel graphics so you can at least save some battery life.
    In BIOS just set SATA to compatible mode. Then the nvidia driver works.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Penguin View Post
    Brightness:
    No, the brightness control does not work out of the box. Neither the hotkeys or the software controls worked for me. I tried a few different solutions but none really worked. What worked for me was using the scrip provided by elchicoshinhada in post #63 on page 7 of this thread. My hotekeys now work yay! Sometimes you have to press them in 1 second intervals or the brightness bounces around and sometimes they work perfect but who cares? They work! It actually seems to work better after installing that package for turning off the nvidia card.
    I believe this script improves the 1 second interval and the bouncing around a bit. If you want the screen brightness to pick up where you left when you last logged off add the command:
    /usr/bin/brightness to your startup.

Here's the script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export SEED=6
    if [ ! -f ~/.brightness ]; then
            /bin/echo 99 > ~/.brightness;
    fi
    case "$1" in
            "up")
                    export BRIGHTNESS=$[$BRIGHTNESS+$SEED];
            ;;
            "down")
                    export BRIGHTNESS=$[$BRIGHTNESS-$SEED];
            ;;
            *)
                    export BRIGHTNESS=`cat ~/.brightness`
            ;;
    esac
    if [ "$BRIGHTNESS" -gt "255" ]; then
            export BRIGHTNESS=255;
    fi
    if [ "$BRIGHTNESS" -lt "0" ]; then
            export BRIGHTNESS=0;
    fi
    echo $BRIGHTNESS > ~/.brightness
    export hexbright=`/usr/bin/printf "%X" $BRIGHTNESS`
    sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=$hexbright
    Then:
    Code:
    echo "brightness up" > /etc/acpi/asus-brn-up.sh
    echo "brightness down" > /etc/acpi/asus-brn-down.sh

Beans

On my ul30a my touchpad works great. However the thing that really bothers me now is power management. I get a 11 watts from powertop. Whereas in windows seven this was around 7.5 watts. I mostly went through the tips that are in this topic but the reported 6 or 7 watts measured in this topic I cannot get. Not even in kernel 2.6.34rc7. Also I blacklisted the webcam to prevent it from consuming power when not used. I am curious on you power achievements on this laptop.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Orcie View Post
    On my ul30a my touchpad works great. However the thing that really bothers me now is power management. I get a 11 watts from powertop. Whereas in windows seven this was around 7.5 watts. I mostly went through the tips that are in this topic but the reported 6 or 7 watts measured in this topic I cannot get. Not even in kernel 2.6.34rc7. Also I blacklisted the webcam to prevent it from consuming power when not used. I am curious on you power achievements on this laptop.
    That's strange!!

I get 6.9 watts on idle (but I have an SSD), with screen brigthness at minimun, bluetooth and wireless off, and I get about 9 watts with wireless on....maybe you have some software running in background that drains some power....have you disabled Ubuntu One on Startup applications? Disable every daemon you don't need.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cierreics View Post
    That's strange!!

I get 6.9 watts on idle (but I have an SSD), with screen brigthness at minimun, bluetooth and wireless off, and I get about 9 watts with wireless on....maybe you have some software running in background that drains some power....have you disabled Ubuntu One on Startup applications? Disable every daemon you don't need.

I have an intel ssd aswell. Now disabled ubuntu one but still 10.6 watts. What kernel (did you recompiled it or installation from .deb?), version of ul30, and script are you running? Do you also have the load balancing thick? This causes a lot of interupts for me (25%). However it seem that this is kernel related and not yet fixed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Orcie View Post
    I have an intel ssd aswell. Now disabled ubuntu one but still 10.6 watts. What kernel (did you recompiled it or installation from .deb?), version of ul30, and script are you running? Do you also have the load balancing thick? This causes a lot of interupts for me (25%). However it seem that this is kernel related and not yet fixed.
    I have a Patriot Warp SSD, my Asus is an UL30A-QX194V, I have installed the 2.6.34-rc7 kernel from .deb, here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa....34-rc7-lucid/

I use the tips I have posted in this thread, do you really get 10.6 watts even on minimum brightness and wifi off? Can be the Intel SSD? That's strange, but maybe it causes too many kernel loads....have you done the tips for SSD disks on linux?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cierreics View Post
    I have a Patriot Warp SSD, my Asus is an UL30A-QX194V, I have installed the 2.6.34-rc7 kernel from .deb, here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.34-rc7-lucid/

I use the tips I have posted in this thread, do you really get 10.6 watts even on minimum brightness and wifi off? Can be the Intel SSD? That's strange, but maybe it causes too many kernel loads....have you done the tips for SSD disks on linux?

What tips are you refering to? And yes I also done all the tips from this topic. !0.6 Is with wifi on.

You guys also have messed up graphics when coming back from hibernate?

Beans
    Distro

These settings are tested for Ubuntu Lucid, it's possible that some scripts doesn't work with Ubuntu Maverick.
    I will write a new post for Maverick when I'll have time to upgrade!!

I will keep this post updated with all new tips and kernel upgrades!!

Here there are Asus UL30 tips for kernel, vga, backlight, power saving, touchpad, bluetooth and to run Linux on SSD (Solid State Disk). Most of these tips are also valid for other notebooks with > 2GB ram.

KERNEL and VGA

Install 2.6.35 kernel and new mesa and drm libraries, wich improves Intel VGA performance, there are 2 repositories for that:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:guido-iodice/guiodiclucid
    then

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:guido-iodice/best-intel
    then

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade && sudo apt-get -y install linux linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image linux-image-generic
    With latest kernel all screen flickerings are gone, backlight works perfectly on UL30A (with below tip), backlight notification works too!!

The guiodiclucid repository will also update some apps to maverick dev ones, ie calculator, brasero, ubuntu-software-center, volume indicator applet...

BACKLIGHT

It works on Asus UL30A, I've no solution for UL30VT:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    look at line 9, change to this:

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
    save and close, then:

Code:
    sudo update-grub

POWER SAVING

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ethtool
    This will install a tool we need.

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    add this BEFORE "exit 0":

Code:
    rfkill block bluetooth
    ethtool -s eth0 wol d
    iwconfig wlan0 power timeout 500ms
    echo 1 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    echo 60000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs
    echo 60000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
    echo 60 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
    echo 95 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
    echo 50 > /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure
    save and close.

This will turn off bluetooth at startup, disable wake on lan, enable wireless power saving, enable sound card power saving, tune virtual memory to save power.

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/ondemand
    paste this:

Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides:          ondemand
    # Required-Start:    $remote_fs $all
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop:
    # Short-Description: Set the CPU Frequency Scaling governor to "ondemand"
    ### END INIT INFO

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

. /lib/init/vars.sh
    . /lib/lsb/init-functions

case "$1" in
        start)
        	start-stop-daemon --start --background --exec /etc/init.d/ondemand background
            ;;
        background)
    	sleep 60 # probably enough time for desktop login

for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    	do
    		[ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue
    		echo -n ondemand > $CPUFREQ
    	done
    	;;
        restart|reload|force-reload)
            echo "Error: argument '$1' not supported" >&2
            exit 3
            ;;
        stop)
            ;;
        *)
            echo "Usage: $0 start|stop" >&2
            exit 3
            ;;
    esac
    This will correct the init script for cpu governor, default one is bugged!!
    You can reduce the time value at line 22, default is "sleep 60".
    I have an SSD and my boot time is very fast, so I use "sleep 20", you can try this:
    add CPU frequency applet to your panel, reboot, login as fast as you can and look when your CPU governor switch from "performance" to "ondemand"; you can reduce the "sleep" time to a value that make governor switch appen some seconds after login, maybe "sleep 30" or "sleep 40" for a mechanical hard disk.

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/pm/power.d/powersave-policy-dirty-writeback
    paste this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e
    # increase dirty_writeback to ten minutes
    # Author: Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com>

WB=/proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs

[ -w $WB ] || exit 0

if [ "$1" = true ]; then
        echo 60000 > $WB
    else
        echo 60000 > $WB
    fi
    save and close, then:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/power.d/powersave-policy-dirty-writeback

Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/usb-autosuspend
    paste this:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    if [ "$1" = "true" ]; then

for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/level; do
    	[ "$(cat $i)" = "auto" ] && continue
    	echo "auto" > $i
      done

for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/autosuspend; do
    	[ "$(cat $i)" -ge 0 2>/dev/null ] && continue
    	echo "2" > $i
      done

fi
    save and close, then:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/usb-autosuspend
    This script forces usb autosuspend for all devices.

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    add this line:

Code:
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
    then add "commit=100" option to ext partitions, look at this fstab:

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=f450fc7b-f218-4c0c-bb63-5afa69608ab4 /               ext4    commit=100,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /home was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=6de7b138-6ef1-4f4a-bea0-74268a4b302c /home           ext4    commit=100,defaults        0       2
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=25e066d9-6950-49ac-b078-5547ca161bfb none            swap    sw              0       0

#tmp su ram
    save and close.

With this setting the system will use RAM instead of disk to write temporary files, less disk usage will save power. The commit option will reduce filesystem kernel accesses.

Code:
    look at line 10, change to this:

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rootflags=commit=100"
    save and close, then:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    This will reduce filesystem kernel accesses.

Open Firefox, on the url bar write about:config, open it and create a new string:

Code:
    browser.cache.disk.parent_directory
    set the value to /tmp

This will set Firefox to write it's cache over RAM.

There are two Evolution daemons that may drain some power, they keep running even after you have closed Evolution, you can uninstall them if you don't need Exchange sync and Ubuntu One calendar and contacts sync:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge evolution-exchange evolution-couchdb

TOUCHPAD

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf
    paste this:

Code:
    options psmouse force_elantech=1
    save and close, then:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yurivkhan/proposed
    then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade
    This will enable our elantech touchpad for synaptic driver and install a patched gnome-settings-daemon we need.

To get working disable touchpad (Fn+F9) button:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/acpi/asus-touchpad.sh
    delete everything and paste this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    [ -f /usr/share/acpi-support/state-funcs ] || exit 0 

. /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs

getXconsole

DEVICE_ID=`xinput -list | grep -i touchpad | grep id= | sed 's/.*id=\([0-9]*\).*/\1/' `

if xinput -list-props $DEVICE_ID | grep "Device Enabled" | grep "1$" > /dev/null
    then
        xinput set-int-prop $DEVICE_ID "Device Enabled" 8 0
    else
        xinput set-int-prop $DEVICE_ID "Device Enabled" 8 1
    fi
    save and close.

Now we have to add an option to grub to solve touchpad problems after suspension (DON'T APPLY THIS IF YOU HAVE 2.6.35-14 OR SUCCESSIVE KERNEL, IT'S ONLY NEEDED WITH EARLIER KERNELS):

Code:
    look at line 9, change to this:

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor i8042.reset"
    save and close, then:

Code:
    sudo update-grub

Reboot (apply SSD tips first if you have one), go to mouse preferences, now there's a "Touchpad" tab!!
    Enable two finger scrolling and horizontal scrolling.

You'll notice that 2 finger and 3 finger tap is inverted now, let's fix it:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set "/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/tap_button_2" --type int "2" && gconftool-2 --set "/desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/tap_button_3" --type int "3"
    Now let's set up touchpad feeling.
    To me, this is the best setting, open a terminal:

Code:
    synclient MinSpeed=1 MaxSpeed=1 AccelFactor=0
    if touchpad is too speedy, reduce MinSpeed and MaxSpeed to 0.7, find your values!!

Once you've found good values, put that command in a new entry on System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications

BLUETOOTH RESUME FIX

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/pm/sleep.d/asus-bluetooth
    paste this:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    case "$1" in
     hibernate|suspend)
      invoke-rc.d --quiet bluetooth stop
      ;;
     thaw|resume)
      invoke-rc.d --quiet bluetooth start
      ;;
     *) exit $NA
      ;;
    esac
    save and close, then:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/asus-bluetooth
    This will fix bluetooth switch on panel indicator applet not working after resume from suspend-hibernate.

SSD TIPS

Code:
    look at line 10, change to this:

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="elevator=noop rootflags=commit=100"
    save and close, then:

Code:
    sudo update-grub

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    add "noatime" option to ext partitions, look at my fstab:

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=f450fc7b-f218-4c0c-bb63-5afa69608ab4 /               ext4    noatime,commit=100,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /home was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=6de7b138-6ef1-4f4a-bea0-74268a4b302c /home           ext4    noatime,commit=100,defaults        0       2
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=25e066d9-6950-49ac-b078-5547ca161bfb none            swap    sw              0       0

#tmp su ram
    save and close.

I think that's all, obviously you have to reboot to apply all tips!
    Last edited by Cierreics; October 23rd, 2010 at 02:14 AM.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast