Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buffer i/o error on device loop0 logical block xxxxxx

Beans

Re: Buffer i/o error on device loop0 logical block xxxxxx

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was starting to think I had a unique problem. Even though it's the beta, I find it odd that I'm not seeing anything else about this issue around the net. This seems to be a problem with an earlier version of Ubuntu installed via Wubi, then upgraded to 9.10. I would think there would be a lot more of us.

[poo]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I upgraded 9.04 to 9.10 beta rc and keep getting error messages upon reboot or shutdown. Only works by using power button. Boots up fine. Updated lupin as adviced in this forum but still have same problem. This never happened with 9.04 Will release on 10/29/09 be the same???
    Last edited by headmower; October 28th, 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Beans

Headmower, did you install 9.04 with Wubi as well? If I remember right, I installed 8.10 with Wubi, then upgraded to 9.04 beta, then upgraded to 9.04, then upgraded to 9.10 beta, which is where my problems started.

[poo]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I see that the thread is signed as "solved" but I don't see any solutino in the replies, please can anybody tell me the solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The issue is not solved so far, so the topic should be edited...

Beans

I've started looking at hwclock-save that's being executed during shutdown/ reboot. When things hang and I eventually hit ctrl-alt-delete, hwclock-save is what's being aborted, over and over again every time I hit C-A-D. I'm still not fully understanding exactly what hwclock even does or if I really need it or not. Just for grins, I thought I'd try to disable hwclock-save that's executed during shutdown (but not hwclock that's executed during startup). After figuring out that the new-to-Karmic Upstart was handling the execution of hwclock and hwclock-save, I moved hwclock-save.conf from /etc/init to a temp folder. The first reboot test was successful! I'm not going to call it a complete success at this point because I've been tricked several times already with this issue. I finally noticed that I have successful reboots when Ubuntu has only been up and running for a few minutes. But after a little bit of use for 15-30 minutes, I'd get the shutdown hang every time (I'm pretty sure). The successful reboot after taking out hwclock-save was after about 30 minutes of use. I'll try throughout the night and report back later.

[poo]

Beans

Never mind, jumped the gun on that one. The two following reboots hung. However, the hwclock-save messages didn't come up after hitting C-A-D this time. In fact, hitting C-A-D brought up nothing at all this time. Does anyone know specifically which shutdown job is the one hanging?

[poo]

Beans

THE FINAL RELEASE IS NOW OUT!!!! How do I reinstall the final over the beta?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12