Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffer i/o error on device loop0 logical block xxxxxx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Buffer i/o error on device loop0 logical block xxxxxx

Have been receiving this error on reboot with Vista/WUBI 9.10 Karmic since Alpha stages.
    Sometimes if fsck before rebooting it will reboot without interruption, sometimes.
    Uninstalled [lupin-support] and seems to be rebooting fine without fsck before every reboot. Do not know consequences of removal of [lupin-support].
    Anyone that knows anything about this I would appreciate your input.

Can have 10 or more Buffer I/O error on device loop0 logical block xxxxxxx
    at any given reboot and need to alt/sys rq/b to reboot.

[lupin-support] being WUBI support function is it detrimental in long run???
    2.28.1 (Ubuntu 2009-10-23)
    2.6.31-14-generic
    4.4.1 (x86_64-linux-gnu)
    Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic rc)
    Intel 82945G
    Intel 82801G PCI Bridge
    Drivers all generic
    Last edited by garvinrick4; October 28th, 2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Worked for while now back to same. Have to fsck before restart and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Buffer i/o error on device loop0 logical block xxxxxx

I'm having the same thing happen with 2 notebooks. vistas/9.10 beta and xp/9.10 beta (both installed from 9.04 wubi installer). Boots fines, but hangs on shutdown/reboot with errors. I'm also just using generic drivers. Doesn't do it on my box with just it installed. I forced fsck to run last night and it found nothing, I've forced scandisk to run on the the other side and found nothing. Freaked me out first time I saw it cause I'd just reloaded one from a corrupt file system.

Beans
    Distro

Not a lot of action here just the two of us. If I find anything out I will let you know.

I have reinstalled [lupin-support] and will fsck and sudo reboot from Terminal until
    fixed. Found same problem back in 2008 in launchpad but nothing more recent. I am
    sure there are a lot of us out there.

I myself have a 80 year old father who lives with me who needs his Windows. I just got
    him started a few years ago and Linux gives him the Willy's. He deserves what he wants to
    use so I dual boot. WUBI does have a value. Got me started, my next purchase will be laptop with only Linux. For now will try to get this Vista/Ubuntu WUBI dual boot in order.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Same for me
    I upgraded to ubuntu 9.10 from a WUBI install and the computer does that on shutdown...

I am having look at it.

Beans

I'm having what appears to be the same issue too. Ubuntu 9.04 installed via Wubi on XP never hand any issues rebooting. Then I did an update to 9.10 beta via "update-manager -d" and now I often (but now always) get buffer i/o errors on device loop0 when rebooting. I got them to mostly go away by stopping BOINC from starting up, but they still happen, seeming randomly. I found this lengthy bug report from last year: https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/8.04/+bug/204133 . However, I'm having trouble making a whole lot of sense of it. I'm not new to linux, but I'm no guru either.

[poo]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Same problem here... seems to be random.

I've just upgraded to Ubunto 9.10 after using a 9.04 installation from Wubi. Never had this problem with Jaunty, only appeared after upgrading to Karmic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

mine happens every reboot/shutdown. only semi random is how many it claims to find.

Beans
    Distro

Upgrade Oct. 26th 2009 Karmic 9.10 rc of [lupin-support] seems to have fixed issue.

Check Synaptic to make sure you have .27 the new upgrade from .25

So far so good.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; October 28th, 2009 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Today still having problem have to fsck before restart and see what happens.

Beans

I upgraded lupin-support to .27, but I'm still getting the loop0 buffer errors. When I'm getting the errors, if I hit ctrl-alt-del, it'll abandon the journaling and the loop0 errors will keep coming. But, if I hit C-A-D after that, it says something about hwclock-save being aborted. Every C-A-D after that gives me the same message about hwclock-save. Is that what everyone else is seeing? Did simply upgrading lupin-support fix everyone else's problem? Ugh, my next Ubuntu install will not be through Wubi!

[poo]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Updating lupin-support to .27 did not solve the problem here... I'm geting the same behaviour as poo706
    Last edited by kikejulia; October 27th, 2009 at 11:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast