View Poll Results: Which kind are you?

Voters
671. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purist: I don't even have any fat or ntfs partitions and I generally dislike MS and/or proprietary.

228 33.98%
  • Casual: I dual boot because I like having Linux around to tinker with and I don't take sides.

74 11.03%
  • Stuck!: I dual boot because I require windows for gaming and/or work/school and/or favorite app(s).

232 34.58%
  • Grrrrr: Don't be an elitist; there's nothing wrong with MS and proprietary.

47 7.00%
  • Others: You left me out! (specify)

90 13.41%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of Linux user are you?

Beans

Stuck

at my office I must use w. its the company policy-central administration, support, rightsgiving, etc. at home I've installed ubb after/with w2k. some time I'm having ubb as a second OS at work, as well. I have lots of problems integrating ubb into totally ms environment. perhaps msw is user-friendly looking, but not user-friendly using.
    Last edited by Netisan; February 15th, 2006 at 05:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Stuck

I voted other, because I'm really not any of them. Right now, my primary computer's broken (as in hardware broken), so I'm using my purist old backup computer. However, I keep windows around and have no real beefs using it (well, except for no apt and no virtual desktops), but Ubuntu is my primary OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: What kind of Linux user are you?

All my equipment is open source except for one MS box thats used for work, that only runs Catia for design work. Otherwize Debian, RHEL & Ubuntu in the Home, Shop & Garage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Casual and stuck
    I need ******* for my work, favorite apps, but I dual boot cuz I really like learning linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

halfway between purist and stuck:

I dual-boot, but I have only ever booted into windows to play a few games. I also use windows at work (not my choice).

In my defense, I use Free Software wherever possible, even on Windows. This is my work PC, and I'm posting from Firefox. and I run GAIM on all platforms I use, preferring this to AIM.

Beans

I picked Grrrr, there is nothing wrong with propietary because I am a capitalist and I believe in a regulated capitalist system. I also believe Open Source and FOSS are also great models that provide competition and make all software strive to be better for the consumer. I believe a person just should use what works for them and their needs. I like the Open Source model because it provides a level of innovation that propietary sometimes lacks.

I have a small XP partition that I use mainly for gaming and when I break my Ubuntu partition when playing with it. I also have a FAT32 partition to share files back and forth and I also store Data on it that I do not want to lose if I decide to do a reinstall of either Windows or Ubuntu. I don't consider myself stuck because I actually like XP but not as well as I like Ubuntu and Linux.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It's amazing to see so much people buying windows only to use it sporadically for certain softwares.

Companies definitely need to make ther software available on linux.

I never hear Mac OS users buying a windows box to play games sporadicallly or to use native windows softwares.

Microsoft truly won the desktop war and I hate that.

Beans
    Distro

FOSS!=non-commercial.

I don't buy the whole "proprietary software is good because capitalism is good" argument.

Fortunately, I believe that the whole argument will be made moot by the rapid progress of free software on all fronts.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bragador
    It's amazing to see so much people buying windows only to use it sporadically for certain softwares.

I never hear Mac OS users buying a windows box to play games sporadicallly or to use native windows softwares.

it isn't that they're *buying* windows; it's that they already have it. It came with their hardware, in most cases, as it did in mine.

I consider it "legacy support" for windows applications.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bragador

I bought Windows before I ever used Linux. I figure I paid for this copy already and I might as well use it. I doubt I will buy another copy of a MSFT operating system in the future unless there are just some kewl features I just can't live without.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast